Small Spots

jexjexjex

Hi All

I've taken a huge decision to part with some cash and turn over some stock.

What I'm needing are some small (500w) fresnels and profiles for working with in primary schools and the like.

From surfing the net I've pulled information on Strand Quartettes, Selecon Acclaims, ADB Eurospots, and Vision V650s.

Unfortuantely, I'm probably going to be buying from the budget end of the pricing spectrum unless I sell some old kit first.

Can anyone suggest any other manufacturers, or does anyone have any particular comments/preferences.

All information gratefully received.

Hello Joe

I think there was a topic on this very recently as posted by Mr Thirdtap - let me see if I can find the URL.... Ah here it is.

Hopefully that'd help. In the profile front you can't go too wrong with ETC Source Four Jrs. or Selecon Acclaim Axials. 500w/650w profiles always seem a bit meatless to me. Having said that Strand Quartet 22/40s aren't too bad considering.

HTH, Stu

Guest Mattladkin

Personally for that type of application I would go for Strand Quartets. For what they cost (Fresnel £105+VAT and Profile £209=VAT they aren't too expensive. Also they are relatively light, easy to transport and accessories fit both the fresnel and the profile.

I use them out of choice for professional stuff and they take either 500 or 650W lamps so are ideal if you want to get a bit more of akick out of them.

Personally for that type of application I would go for Strand Quartets. For what they cost (Profile £209=VAT)

Is that how much they are?! Source Four Jrs at £205 (fixed) and £235 (zooms) and Selecon Acclaim Axials at £240 certainly are far better value at a slightly higher price premium. Quartets don't really compare in terms of light output to a S4 Jr or Acclaim Axial.

The old photometrics from the 3 manufacturers in question show that the Jr Zoom and Axial 24/44 are about 400-500lux brighter than the Quartet 22/40 at 25º and 8m.

Best thing to do is to hire one of each and have a play :rolleyes:

Stu

Well for smaller venues ive found the S4 Jnr zoom to be superb, and Aclaim fresnels can have a bit mor edge over small 500w units - but as Stu says - get a hold of some to play with and see which are best.

Easier to spend some money and test them to spend more and hate what you buy.

Dave

Hi,

I'd like to add a vote for the Selecon Acclaim Fresnel's. They give out a lot of light, have a good zoom and are nice light, compact units.

AC are currently selling Acclaims in 'as new' condition for £100 each, including lamps and barndoors, apparently they are regularly getting new lots to sell. I just bought half a dozen and they were certainly in 'as new' condition; still in the original packaging.

Cheers,

Ed

Guest Mattladkin
I find that, for school use, the Quartets are great!!! THey have all the basic features you need and are relatively low cost (prices quoted RRP). I got my kit for £98 for the F and PC and £190 for the Profiles!!!v (prices ex. VAT)

Archived