Dead Peavey CEX 5

cedd

Hi all

I'm sat looking at a poorly CEX 5.

For those who don't know, it's a 2 in, 4 out loudspeaker management unit with RS232 remote control and programming.

I'm aware already of the memory battery problems these things are renound for suffering with. Battery was replaced in January and to my knowledge is fine.

When powered up, the screen lights up and the output relays can be heard to click, then nothing..... display is lit but with no text and the buttons don't seem to do anything. I've tried the reset procedure as listed in the manual, but no joy.

It sounds pretty terminal, but I thought I'd just post to see if anybody is aware of a common fault these suffer with. It's a long shot I know, but it came to me for free and it seems a shame to bin it without a bit of effort to get it working. I've opened it up and there is nothing obvious on the board. That said, it's all surface mount and there seems to be an awful lot of processors, memory and general digital garbage on the board (somebody give me a valve or transistor please!).

The only other thing I've noticed is that there is a red LED lit on the PCB itself. I can find no mention of it in the user manual and I haven't got a service manual. I'm guessing it's either an interupt or watchdog indicating that the processor has frozen, but that's complete speculation. The power supply does seem very noisy, it's got a definite buzz to it. I did wonder whether perhaps a 5v rail had failed or gone short. Trouble is I've no idea what voltage should be on the PSU cables so I've no way of checking it out.

Help! Service manual (tried peavey!) or first hand knowledge greatly appreciated!

Archived