Help needed - Martin Audio CXW

Simon Grainger

I'm sure the recone kits will have been discontinued along with the driver.

I know a guy fairly local to me who at least USED to have a dozen of these wedges, so I'll get in touch with him and see if he happens to have a driver.

I can't remember, did the HF come as a unit that could be separated or was it just all in one on this box.

They're old box and not deafening like today's replacement but I'd pick those boxes to listen to above a LOT of today's wedges. Great boxes. Never liked the CX2 (same driver) for FOH, but great in the W.

Gents,

Thanks for your help on this. I've spoken to Nigel M at Martin and sadly both driver and cone kits have been discontinued. I suppose the other alternative is to try and get hold of the Thiele and Small parameters for the driver and start searching for a suitable replacement.

The HF driver was all in the one spider. Rob, these are great wedges, old but great and I still prefer these to my EAW SM12s and Logic LM15s.

Cheers,

Simon....

Simon:

I used to use a lot of CX2 / CXW speakers back in the 80's

ATC Loudspeaker Technology in Stroud made the drive units and may be able to recone them. However the HF driver is a Japanese part made by Foster and diaphragms may no longer be obtainable.

Otherwise try Wembley Loudspeakers, they can recone almost anything....

If these have been seriously overdriven, check the crossovers for burnt out resistors when putting them back together.

HTH

• 5 months later...
I've managed to get hold of Paul at Wembley and he's got a recone kit available. A good price too :D

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.

Cheers,

Simon....

Ive been looking for HF diaphrams for these for over a year. I have even been contacted several times by people also needing them. As already mentioned they where made by Foster. The Compression driver will come off the back of the ATC driver, however the Exit for the Comp driver is very small.

Reconing the 12" shouldnt be a problem, just give ATC a call and get a kit off them, be aware that it may take some time for them to assemble one for you.

I do have 1 spare pair of Complete working Drivers however, I am not selling them yet just incase I need them!

Hi all,

I'm desperately in need of a replacement driver for a Martin CXW monitor. The driver is model number DLSCT2/2 and has unfortunately long since been discontinued. If anybody happens to have one spare please let me know.

Hopefully,

Simon........

we have the same problem - have got a stack of CX2 speakers, and haven't been able to get replacement diaghrams for the HF for a few years.... They are all running okay at the moment , but we dont have any spares...shame really that you cannot get them anymore...they sound soooo much nicer than some of the more modern speakers....

• 3 months later...

Hello I'm looking for the diaphragms also but can't find anything out at the moment,

ive looked at lots of drivers from Fostex but never find the right one.

The only thing I find out is that is is a 40W driver, so if anyone had more information

it doesnt matter what even the date that the cabinets are out of production could help me.

And does anyone know that another diaphagm could fit in the driver?

• 2 weeks later...
<br />Hello I'm looking for the diaphragms also but can't find anything out at the moment,<br />ive looked at lots of drivers from Fostex but never find the right one.<br /><br />The only thing I find out is that is is a 40W driver, so if anyone had more information<br />it doesnt matter what even the date that the cabinets are out of production could help me.<br /><br />And does anyone know that another diaphagm could fit in the driver?<br />

For information (but probably not much help):

The drivers were made by the Japanese company Foster (the professional wing of the company who made the Fostex MI stuff) and were imported by Martin via Foster's European headquarters in Germany.

The compression driver was a B5023

The spare diaphragm was a B5804005A001

Changing the B5023 is unlikely to be practical, although Bill Woodman did have a technique for detaching the driver from the ATC back plate. The driver exit, and hence the horn throat entry, was smaller than the 1" / 25mm of most currently available drive units, though I forget the exact size.

NN

<br />over the years I have replaced literally hundereds of these atc/foster units with the Beyma 12XT and 12KX it goes straight in and will give improved results and you can use the original martin xover.<br />

That's excellent news, and looks like the definitive answer to the problem.

PS

It's a good idea to uprate the HF pad resistors with 50-watt types to stop DJ's blowing them up with underpowered amplifiers, but this requires a larger bracket to fit them on...

Hello people

I've been searching and searching and searching but 'now I know all about the compression driver made bij Fostex.

The type of the driver for the first series is FD30 and for the later series FD40 made bij Fostex Japan.

The drivers are bought by Martin audio and then shipped to ATC in stroud where they where assembling the whole unit.

If you seet the pictures of the original Fostex FD40 you can see its the same on the back of your ATC woofer.

Maybe anyone can deliver me a replacement diaphragm or knew a company who can made new ones for me and the other users all over the world.

Archived