Cleaning dirty faders

colin king

Hi,

Have got an oldish analogue sound desk (Yamaha PM1200) and have a bit of crackle / signal loss when I move the faders. (I believe it is dirt and not DC (voltage) on the faders)

I have stripped the desk and cleaned the outside of the fader modules where the fader runs along the module with IPA 170 and some cotton buds which has made a lot of difference but still a tiny bit of noise on the faders near 0db area.

Anyone got any more ideas of getting rid of this ?

It is a problem with this desk as I have tested the set up with our normal desk (ie same cables, speakers - just repached input and output into this old desk)

Yamaha have spare fader modules but these are $50 each (from the USA) and the desk has 20 inputs!

Many thanks for any advice.

Colin

Whatever you do, DO NOT use anything with an added lubricant as this can cause the dust to clump together and act like a mild form of grinding paste and wreck the faders resitive track. Something like Caig deoxit is fine just not WD40 or servisol switch cleaner.

Charlie

you might find that the fader tracks are worn down. but usually a cotton bud and some IPA does the trick.

:blink: ?

Did you read the first post aidso? :blink:

I assume you don't mean the bitter? :blink:

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Sorry, forgot to add!

I usually use this.

I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (from Pep Boys). It's plastics safe and leaves no residue (lubricant). If after using this the fader is to dry, a few drops od DeOxit should smooth it out.

If this does not cure it, the fader is worn or you have a leaky coupling cap on the input or output of the fader.

There is no 'Long Term' cure for a noisy fader apart from replacing it!

All the suggestions above are short term and the noise/dryness/rough feel will return.

There is a previous topic on this :)

you might find that the fader tracks are worn down. but usually a cotton bud and some IPA does the trick.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Never use alcohol to clean faders unless you are going to properly re-lubricate them afterwards. And even then, it's not a good idea.

I seem to remember that a 'Staedtler Mars plastic' eraser, the white ones you use for rubbing out pencil on paper (from stationary shops [sorry if that's the wrong spelling]), gently applied directly to the tracks can work wonders on conductive plastic faders.

I second all the other comments about avoiding "squirty stuff" with faders.

Thank you for all your help and advice

I have bought some Caig Deoxit as suggested and hope it makes a difference. It seems to lubricate as well so hopefully will do the trick.

If it doesnt work I'll just use the desk as an "aux machine" for sending audio to other parts of the building or something

Thanks

Colin

Isopropyl Alcohol applied directly into the the fader chanel with an eye/ear type dropper, follwed by a swift movement of the fader up and down usually clears all the c**p and totally evaporates, leaving no residue whatever. In the old days, it was industry standard for cleaning recording tape heads.

Isopropyl Alcohol applied directly into the the fader chanel with an eye/ear type dropper, follwed by a swift movement of the fader up and down usually clears all the c**p and totally evaporates, leaving no residue whatever. In the old days, it was industry standard for cleaning recording tape heads.

I don't know about cleaning faders or pots with this, but it works wonders for cd lenses as well.

Or did, I tried to but it a couple of years ago, a pharmacist asked me what it was for, and looked at me like I was a junkie or something. :** laughs out loud **:

I thought I'd let you know how I got on with the Deoxit - well amazingly well it happens. The noise on them has gone, they slide beautifully now (not stuck like tar!) and are as they should be.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and advice on this topic. It has been useful.

Thanks

Colin

(sound chap)

Archived