VGA to projector....Pink Tinge

Stagedrighter

Hi there,

I have a get in tomorrow for a production of Spend Spend Spend.... - the cyc is entirley projected...

However, I've tried to connect my laptop to a projector today and the image is perfectly sharp - however it has a pink tinge over it and all the colours are coming across really bizarrely.. I've ruled out the cable is faulty but no idea where to go next??

Cheers In Advance and I hope you guys can help me out!

Cheers

Is your laptop possibly putting out a higher resolution or scan rate than the projectors can cope with? I've seen a few projectors turn pink when they meet a scan rate they don't like. 1024x768 @ 75mHz should keep most projectors happy.

A pink tinge and bizarre colours? Really sounds like a cable / output problem - I.e missing green. How did you rule out the cable - did you swap it for another? . Are you outputting on the D SUB or a S vid output. Have you plugged it into a TFT monitor to check the output from the laptop? Have you stuffed colour bars through the system to check you have the colours and in the right order?

I'd go along with Bruce - try a different Laptop next.

Is your laptop possibly putting out a higher resolution or scan rate than the projectors can cope with?

Usually the projector just fails to output anything if it can't handle it. Though the res you quote is the best to be safe. Never seen a projector show a pink hue when given a higher res. You learn something every day :D

You say you checked the cable but how far are you running it?

Would usually lead to blurring of the image.

Never seen a projector show a pink hue when given a higher res. You learn something every day
Mitsubishi XL8 was the culprit. The thing that they were specifically objecting to was a low scan rate - they were seeing 50Hz from a Kramer scaler which scaled a video source to XGA but didn't adjust the scan rate.

Most likely cause, if tried with a number of different projectors, is that the Pixel phase is off. Generate alternating pixels and either use the auto setup if the projector has it or manually set the pixel clock and phase. Usually output at the same resolution as the Native resolution of your projectors Panel/dmd.

hth

Hi there,

I have a get in tomorrow for a production of Spend Spend Spend.... - the cyc is entirley projected...

However, I've tried to connect my laptop to a projector today and the image is perfectly sharp - however it has a pink tinge over it and all the colours are coming across really bizarrely.. I've ruled out the cable is faulty but no idea where to go next??

Cheers In Advance and I hope you guys can help me out!

Cheers

Are you outputting 1920x1080? Some projectors, particularly when using analogue see this as a video res and use a YUV colourspace, this would cause the issue you have described, either set the projector manually to RGB if you have that option, if not use a lower res.

Lobba

Are you outputting 1920x1080? Some projectors, particularly when using analogue see this as a video res and use a YUV colourspace, this would cause the issue you have described, either set the projector manually to RGB if you have that option, if not use a lower res.

Lobba

That's a clever thought right there - I remember getting such effects when playing with the "colourspace" settings on some of our more expensive projectors.

That and of course absolutely making sure both the laptop is putting out and the cable it properly transmitting the green channel. First problem I ever had with a computer was that the whole screen kept going into shades of either magenta or cyan; the Scart cable - showing my age :blink: - had a couple of dodgy pins, corresponding to the Red and Green wires, and they'd go in somewhat alternate fashion depending on the monitor position and how hard us nippers were leaning on the edge of the desk.

Plus, ensure there's no possible colour corrections in the computer itself - such stuff will either be buried deep in Windows (or OSXs?) display settings, or a bespoke thing that comes with the drivers and maybe puts an icon in your system tray/whatever. Particularly see if there's some "colour temperature" adjustment going on, I remember a bit of a furore from a few years back when certain DVD companies started releasing their titles "tuned" for newer high-colour-temp plasma HDTVs, with the end result that they all looked pink on normal low-temp systems. (The irony/stupidity of it being that most HDTVs will have an adjustment for colour temperature anyway, and maybe even the expensive dvd players - whereas a typical cheap-ass CRT from 10 years ago and bogstandard dvd player wouldn't know what it was if you hit it in the face with a 6500 vs 9300 kelvin comparison sheet)

Never personally seen colour effects from incorrect resolution or scan rate (just rolling image and other such corruption, or more likely the display device shutting off and optionally giving an "out of range" error; nb not all projectors are happy with XGA at 75hz I've found, some get really fussy, you're best to stick to it's native rez and 60hz. I've even had decent-brand LCD monitors that wouldn't take more than 70hz :blink: which is a shame because I prefer it for showing 25/50fps material)... but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

Another wierd thing that may sometimes happen is if your colour depth isn't ... or IS ... set to true colour (24 or 32bit), cheap DACs can get confused sometimes. Toggle between 16bit Hicolour and 24/32bit and see what happens. Also see if disabling/enabling the internal screen at the same time helps (note that you may lose accelerated video decoding on one or the other in dual mode, which will show as a blank black, green or magenta rectangle unless you drop to dodgy unaccelerated mode).

Archived