Wysiwyg and vista?

tctc

Im having problems installing wyg onto my new laptop which runs vista ( it worked fine with XP ).

Has any one had a similar problem?

any ideas how to sort it out (ive already tryed runing it in administrator.

cheers.

You are correct in saying that R18 will not work with Vista. The first version to be supported by Windows Vista is Release 20.

Does this resolve the problem, if not please let me know exactly what is happening including any error messages.

Kind Regards

Andy.

What is it about R19 and earlier that makes them incompatible with Vista, Andy?

I think you mean what in Vista makes it incompatible with R19 and earlier :unsure:

Stuff like AutoCAD still struggles to install, despite Autodesk claiming compatibility for three releases now....

What is it about R19 and earlier that makes them incompatible with Vista, Andy?

I believe, that it's something to do with a part of DirectX that wyg uses which is quite old now, which Vista, using DX10, now doesn't support, and has a new API for something equivalent.

any ideas how to sort it out

I guess the other problem might be that you had Vista installed in the first place :-p

I personally don't run Vista (don't get me started), but I have advised other people I know to have a dual boot system with XP if they need to use the system for normal day to day stuff, as well as doing show rigs, and running shows from. Even having two separate installs of XP can be handy, to keep one clean as poss with as little other stuff installed on it, and one becoming the messy install through day to day use.

If you don't have XP, you can grab a licence from most online computer stores for relatively little (well, relative to the price of Wyg!).

For example, Amazon.co.uk have OEM WinXP licences from £55

I expect other places have them at similar or lower prices.

However, remember that an OEM licence cannot be transferred between computers.

I do wonder why you stopped your Wyg subscription so long ago though - even I have a newer version, and my dongle's a parallel port one!

Just to touch on the vista system, I currently run windows vista and absolutley hate it, but from July Microsoft it stopping all support for Windows XP even though it will still be for sale. A program which I came across which is Virtual PC which is a pc within a pc if you catch my drift, you install Virtual PC onto vista and then install XP or any other operating system you want onto the Virtual PC program and then all programs that are for XP will work within the program.

Here is a link to the download.

Windows Virtual PC Link

It is at the bottom of the page, either the 32 or 64 bit.

you install Virtual PC onto vista and then install XP or any other operating system you want onto the Virtual PC program and then all programs that are for XP will work within the program.
Which completely ignores the issue you raised, as you're still running WinXP and still require a licence for it, and possibly support.

I'm fairly sure that OEM licences can't be installed on virtual machines anyway, as they are tied to specific hardware.

Also that 'end of support' thing only actually applies to large businesses. Home users couldn't get it anyway.

Ever tried phoning MS directly?

It once took me hours to activate an early Media Centre Edition to use on a Microsoft/Intel stand, and if they can't do it quickly for their own trade shows and product launches, they're not likely to be much faster for a customer that probably only paid them a hundred quid or so.

(It exposed a fun bug in WGA - it wouldn't log on as the timeout had expired, and couldn't connect to the internet to validate itself as it hadn't logged on.)

Those PCs were pretty good though - really wish I could have taken one home...

Archived