Finished Design Tech Project

Sorry if this is in the wrong place! Feel free to move it mods!

I just finished all of my AS-Level Design Technology coursework, it's a great relief, 6 months design work, and for the most part I think it's worth it.

Here are some rough pictures, remember the aim is to manufacture a prototype of the design, so this isn't perfect, and there are plenty of changes I will be making once I'm allowed (when the results come through in the summer).

It's a flightcase style toolkit/workstation, made using an Ash frame, with plywood walls. Originally I planned to use aluminium extrusions, but ended up using a routed ash frame to create the shell so that I actually got some marks for the project!! :** laughs out loud **:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/Psychedelictheatre/th_100_9546.jpg

Not the most flattering picture I've ever taken on self timer it has to be said :(

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/Psychedelictheatre/th_100_9536.jpg

'Show mode' Script sits on laptop storage drawer, laptop sits on top.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/Psychedelictheatre/th_100_9520.jpg

Inside looking up

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/Psychedelictheatre/th_100_9516.jpg

From the front

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/Psychedelictheatre/th_100_9541.jpg

With the door (it's on lift off hinges)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/Psychedelictheatre/th_100_9542.jpg

The full thing

There will be rack mount strips put in the bottom space as soon as I'm allowed, along with a power strip (recessed in the top of the unit), larger castors, another handle on each side, and handles on the drawers. I will also be planing the top of the door slightly as it isn't quite flush, as can be seen on some of the photos (isn't actually that noticeable in real life).

Anything else that you think I should add to it? Anything you think I shouldn't have done/you'd have done differently?

The whole unit was manufactured in about 40 hours, spread over 2 months. I'm generally pleased with it, some things that were in my design couldn't be done because of the time limitations. All the electrics weren't done (I originally designed for a light to be put in as well - hence the gap at the top inside) but I don't get marked for anything electrical, so it was one of the things that I didn't do for the actual project.

Thanks for any input!

Tim

Moderation: Images thumbnailed

It's on castors as it is, just they're only 50mm diameter. Once I'm allowed to change it, I will be putting 100mm diameter castors on.

The unit itself isn't too heavy, I can lift it by myself, and I'm not exactly Mr. Muscle. However, it is heavy once it's filled. But still liftable by two people.

Would you recommend having permanent castors? Or just a castor board that it could be lifted on and off of?

Thanks for the input!

I've always found removable boards better - as long as they can be fixed so they don't fall off. The only other additon might me more handles lower dow to enable it to be lifted with your two people up to say, stage level. Your handles look rather high.

Well, I'm going to disagree with Paul here. Provided the height is OK then I would much prefer good casters with the front two being lockable. Although slightly less stable this is not normally a problem, and saves the faffing around involved with fitting a wheel board.

How about fixing a white board type surface to the inside of the door as a place for quick notes?

I plan on adding another handle so there are two at the level there currently is, and I did think about adding another couple a little lower down; I will most likely do that asap.

Mark, that's a great idea; especially as I have a load of mini-whiteboard sheets sat in the garage, I can cut them to get rid of the rounded corners and get them in there.

Thanks again

Tim

A couple of things, but they're personal preference really - I would make sure that when the drawers are closed, they seal, so that stuff can't fall out if the case is tipped. I would also put handles running vertically up the case so it can be tipped. I'd've used butterfly catches rather than the ones you have, but they're equally valid. I like that the door is removable - very handy. Seems like a reasonable case, but without bits like aluminum extrusion (damn those mark schemes!) I don't imagine it'd last on the road. Good project tho!

Looks great. I'd have thought you should be up for decent marks for that.

R.E. tipping, I'd never let a Production Rack get tipped, but then I doubt it's be going by anything smaller than a Sprinter, so YMMV. If it is going to get tipped, then make sure the stuff is restrained in the drawers, and the drawers can't slide out- either foam on the front or a thick velcro strap might work.

Thanks for the comments :P

Chris; In the modifications section of my coursework I said that if I were to change anything I would put boards between each drawer, these wouldn't move so they would hold everything in if the case was tipped. The only reason I didn't use butterfly catches is because the Ash batons aren't wide enough for them, if I'd have been able to manufacture it normally using extrusions I would have used butterfly catches. I agree that it probably wouldn't last particularly long on the road, but it'll do a good job for my school and Am-Dram shows where it's going into a venue/rehearsal room and staying there for 4 weeks, and then coming home.

Pete; Thanks a lot, I got 34/40 for the actual manufacturing, mainly due to a couple of mishaps that wouldn't have happened if I'd have done Product Design/Resistant Materials for GCSE (I did Electronics, so didn't have the same standard of materials/manufacturing knowledge as the rest of the class), however next year I'm sure I'll get a better mark with the huge amounts of knowledge I've gained this year. Overall marks were 104/115, which is a very comfortable A (the top grade at AS/A-level).

The case will usually be transported in a van, or the back of the school mini-bus so as you say, tipping won't be too much of a problem.

Thanks again for your comments, they're much appreciated!

Tim

• 1 month later...
The case will usually be transported in a van, or the back of the school mini-bus so as you say, tipping won't be too much of a problem.

Hehe, famous last words!

Really smart looking piece of kit there, well done! Just a thought but for more permanent use I think desk lighting would be essential, e.g. if you want to solder something - maybe you could mount a pair of XLR sockets flush with the top, to attach a pair of gooseneck lamps? They could then be removed for travel. Obviously with transformers etc inside the unit.

You should be really pleased though, we've got stuff at work less well built than that. :stagecrew:

Edit: And yes definitely move the handles down... even if its not too heavy, its an awkward location for them.

• 2 months later...

Haha, please don't!!

I'm already completely flooded with my A-level piece, a synthesizer stand for a friend...pulling designs out of thin air for a synthesizer stand influenced by organic shapes, aiming to be an interactive experience through the use of various textures is providing a nice headache! I'll post some designs up when I get going!

Thanks for the kudos though :tearshair: It's serving me well so far!

Tim

Archived