Avolites Pearl 2004 vs Avolites Azure

dmx256

Let me make this fact known. I love my Pearl 2004. I would sleep with it if I could. Better than any woman. But for the work I do I think an Azure would be a much more practial desk. My work is mainly nightclub and dance event based and Im wondering if the Azure would be a better (and smaller) choice for me. What I want to know from my virtual Blue Room friends is what the main operational and programming differences are. This isnt a discussion on which desk is best but a discussion on how easy is it to migrate from a Pearl 2004 to an Azure and which one is the best choice for me?

Help please before I Ebay my desk and regret it!

The lighting I Use is basically 8 x Robe Spot 250 Xt's, 4 x Abstract VRX, 2 Martin Acrobats, Anytronics Megastar DMX and 16 par 56 cans. and a DMX smoke machine!

Before anyone suggests I use another desk, please dont. I want to stick to Avolites. If another desk would do I'd use a Pulsar Masterpiece!

The main difference is the hardware. The fact you have more play back buttons rather than faders, for me I find it lacks the hands n buskability. Give Avo a call, they will be more than happy to demo you an Azure.

Good luck

AndyJones

the azure needs to be used with a monitor. once you get the hang of where the buttons are and what theyre called it's not that dificult to swap between the two

As has been said the azure lack's the buskability because of the playback buttons vs faders, making a change of desk no matter what to removes the "comfort" zone, what "feels" right. I had a demo on an azure and found it not as tactile (is it just me?) as my 2000 so I did'nt change/upgrade untill I eventually got hold of ex tour Expert. Sometimes I'll do a job with a laptop and Lightjockey, sometimes with my Pearl,I personally find a club/dance enviroment is a lot easier than a theatre or conference enviroment, hence I'll take a laptop, if your looking for a change (and not just for change sake) and your a fan of AVO ask advice direct, get a demo, tell them what type of event's you do and what equipment you have then come to your own conclusion, just remember the old saying "If it aint broke why try and fix it"

good luck!

g

the azure needs to be used with a monitor. once you get the hang of where the buttons are and what theyre called it's not that dificult to swap between the two

Our Tiger has a monitor, small but it is a monitor!!

Oh and easy to use too, we have had ours for almost a week now

Given the choice between an Pearl and an Azure I'd choose a Pearl any time.

Between a Pearl 2000/4/8 and a Pearl Tiger I'd find it much harder to choose.

My venue has two Azures and a Pearl so I'm used to using both. It's quite easy to go between the two, but the Pearl I find is much more fun hands on. But I'd rather leave an Azure with the DJs, so both desks have good points.

If you own your own Pearl, keep it.

We've just bought an azure shadow at work. It's a little different operationally to the other Avolites desks as you get buttons rather than faders to dump all your fixtures on. This can increase the amount of time required to plot complex generic sequences, and if your using a lot of different movers it can get very confusing as there isn't much space to label up the fixture buttons. Patching in from personality files is also not possible without using the monitor.

Basically you might as well stick with the pearl!

Our Tiger has a monitor, small but it is a monitor!!

Oh and easy to use too, we have had ours for almost a week now

They speak of an Azure not a pearl they are different desk.

Well on topic more, I have to say for night club areas the azure could be quite good, I,m currently using it on a show and its not the easiest thing, but the buttons give you a lot of options on one page and it is very easy to use, although the moniter is essential. I'm looking forward to our Tiger that will be here soon!

HTH

Dan

(OT) Oh! and to add just to say we had a powercut last night, and my face was hilarious

I've got a fair old bit of experience using an Azure in a club environment, and it is very suited to that sort of use.

I quite like the column method on the buttons, colours down one, chases on another, gobos on the third.....yadayada. Easy to get a fair few different looks throughout the night, especially if you've got inexperienced operators/DJs pressing buttons!

From the few times I've had to use an Azure "theatrically" the lack of faders has been the most limiting factor.

I'm just going to echo everyone else: Azures are nice, but if you've got a Pearl already, keep ahold of it!

Archived