Advice on Martin Atomic 3000 Strobe Repair

r_keates

Hi all,

Finally got the new tubes through for our Atomics, and fitted the first one as a test... the LEDs came on, but no response to DMX.

Just had it apart and found that there are some components on the PCB that have got a little "warm"! Specifically 3 resistors, 2 of which have gone to 0ohm resistance, and the other one has gone to such a high resistance that it won't give me a reading on the highest setting on my meter!

I think the tube had failed, and I've heard elsewhere that they do have a habit of taking the board with them when they fail - a good lesson in preventative maintenance I guess - change the tube before it fails... :(

Both strobes failed within a week of each other, and were both installed at the same time, about 4 years ago, so they've done very well really!

Just want to know where to go from here - does anyone know of anyone who would be likely to be able to repair them, or alternatively someone who could supply a pair of replacement PCBs? I'm based in Bexleyheath in SE London / North Kent.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Cheers

Rob :)

http://www.rob-keates.dsl.pipex.com/pics/PCB.jpg

http://www.rob-keates.dsl.pipex.com/pics/PCBCloseup.jpg

I don't mean to sound like I'm telling you to suck eggs, but have you made sure that the dip switches are correctly positioned! This has happened to me in the past!!

Well put it this way, they've been on the rig for 4 years, and worked the whole time... both lamps were changed while they were stil on the rig, so I know nothing changed!

Plus if you look at the pics above you'll see that the resistors have melted!

Rob

Seems that it must be a reasonably common problem, as Martin are offering refurbed PCBs for the Atomics, but can only buy through their dealer network.

Currently waiting for AC Lighting to come back with a price for the boards, the sales guy should be calling me back tomorrow - also Martin offer a 10% discount if you return the failed boards so that they can refurb them... sounds like a great money maker to me!

Rob

• 1 year later...
I have repaired a load of the main boards for Martin Atomics, this is a common problem with the early models and there is a upgrade of some of the components. I have upgraded a load of these (and have a few spare). Any broken ones you may have, I can fix them.

I think after 2 years, he might have got them fixed by now .....

Remember to double check the date on posts before dragging them back from the dead!

• 6 months later...

As it goes, we replaced both boards with remanufactured ones. One has now failed in exactly the same place! Will PM you simonp.

Thanks

Rob

I have repaired a load of the main boards for Martin Atomics, this is a common problem with the early models and there is a upgrade of some of the components. I have upgraded a load of these (and have a few spare). Any broken ones you may have, I can fix them.

I think after 2 years, he might have got them fixed by now .....

Remember to double check the date on posts before dragging them back from the dead!

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I got the same problem on one of my Atomics. R136 and R127 burnt as well as few components around (R179, D110, Q102, R114 and R135). After replacing them all, the strobe is now working very well except that the fan is not running anymore.

When I power up the strobe, the fan is running a couple of seconds then stops as it should. When I'm strobing the fan stays off all the time. When the heat is too high the thermal switch is cutting all and I'm obliged to wait that the strobe has cooled down.

Q106 is ok and don't get any signal from IC103.

Does anybody had some experience with the fan which was not working? Except replacing the pcb or sending it back to Martin (who will replace the pcb too), is there something I could check?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I got the same problem on one of my Atomics. R136 and R127 burnt as well as few components around (R179, D110, Q102, R114 and R135). After replacing them all, the strobe is now working very well except that the fan is not running anymore.

When I power up the strobe, the fan is running a couple of seconds then stops as it should. When I'm strobing the fan stays off all the time. When the heat is too high the thermal switch is cutting all and I'm obliged to wait that the strobe has cooled down.

Q106 is ok and don't get any signal from IC103.

Does anybody had some experience with the fan which was not working? Except replacing the pcb or sending it back to Martin (who will replace the pcb too), is there something I could check?

Do you remember the values of everything you replaced?

Archived