Light Maintenance

charl.ie

Hello everyone,

Now, I have searched for this, but can't seem to find anything relevant. I've just de-rigged all our lights (only 10 in total - we're a school) and I was wondering what sort of tips you had for general maintenance, other than basic cleaning. I am mainly concerned about our ageing Patt 23 and 123's, but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Charlie

First thing is to check the internal wiring and see if it is in decent condition. depending on if they are 60's or 70's the cabling could be horrid asbestos or something more modern with heat resistant sleeving. If you can make the internal wiring up to spec, then a good clean, and the PAT should be enough.

First thing is to check the internal wiring and see if it is in decent condition. depending on if they are 60's or 70's the cabling could be horrid asbestos or something more modern with heat resistant sleeving. If you can make the internal wiring up to spec, then a good clean, and the PAT should be enough.

It should be said of course that an experienced and qualified sparks carries out the electrical checks - preferably one who knows how theatre kit should be tested (as we've had many a story of general electricians condemning perfectly good lanterns - sometimes simply because they have a 5A or 15A plug top!!)

:D

It should also be said that everyone should do a basic electrical check (plug / flex is ok, no obvious damage) before using / testing the kit. Any issues found must be raised with a competant sparky.

Giving the lenses / reflectors a good clean should be worth the effort.

I tend to clean lenses first with very weak solution of washing up liquid on a dish cloth and then with a 25% solution of white/clear vinegar on a piece of kitchen roll. This gets rid of dirt, dust, grease, smoke residue etc, but remember to run the lanterns up for 5 minutes in the workshop to get rid of that "fish'n'chips" smell.

Dave

Guest lightnix
I'd be very wary about using any kind of acid on modern optics, even if diluted. Check with manufacturers on what to clean optics with, especially lenses. A mate of mine cleaned the lenses on his department's S4s the other year, using a proprietry domestic glass cleaner and managed to remove the AR coating - at huge expense.

I'd be very wary about using any kind of acid on modern optics, even if diluted. Check with manufacturers on what to clean optics with, especially lenses. A mate of mine cleaned the lenses on his department's S4s the other year, using a proprietry domestic glass cleaner and managed to remove the AR coating - at huge expense.
Well, he's a muppet then.

It actually says in the manual (page 10) not to use glass cleaner as it WILL destroy the coatings.

(Direct link to PDF)

The correct way to clean Source Four lenses is with a lint-free cloth dipped in Isopropyl Alcohol*.

* For 5 and 10 degree lenses you should dilute it with distilled water.

Archived