Theatre School

HELP!!

I've got the two most important interviews that I'll have in the next couple of years (till I apply for a job!) coming up, for Stage Management and Technical Theatre courses. I want to do LX and want to show my enthusiasm in my interviews and show my experience to its max. Any sneaky tips anyone can spare!!? Its not cheating honestly!!

Thanks everyone!!

<_<

Guest lightnix

Relax, smile, be your natural self and friendly, but not familiar. Answer all questions honestly and to the best of your ability. If they ask you a question to which you have no immediate answer, don't panic, but maybe answer something like "I'm not sure, to be honest, but I would imagine..."

You are only just starting out in what will hopefully be a long and happy career. They won't expect you to know everything and will only get suspicious if you act like you do.

Many, many years ago I went for four interviews at Drama Schools. At the first (CSS&D) I tried to pretend I knew more than I did and got rejected. AT GSM&D they surrounded me with a HUGE panel of people. I got cold feet, clammed up and was rejected. At my LAMDA interview I had the makings of a classic migrane attack and wasn't in the mood to give elaborate answers, so I just did the best I could. By the time I got to Bristol Old Vic I was starting to wonder if a couple of years of casual work might not be a better idea. I answered their questions as well as I could, showed (genuine) interest in their varied facilities and asked a few questions of my own, before leaving with no great hopes.

Both LAMDA and Bristol offered me places (I took LAMDA).

Best of luck.

Sarah

As an Interviwer for a Stage Management and Technical Theatre course, I agree completely with Lightnix.

Furthermore I look for genuine enthusiasm for the theatre business (in the broadest sense).

You are about to embark on training for a career which probably won't make you rich, will demand unbelievable dedication, superhuman stamina and skin as thick as a rhino.

If this is what you REALLY want to do then it'll show and I'm sure you wont have any problems.

Also try and see a production in the institution you are going to or at least something in the same area/city. Form some opinions on the set, lighting, sound etc. and it'll give you something to talk about.

Entering into a conversation and breaking away from the question / answer format normally puts everyone at ease.

Hope that helped

Steve

Hi Sarah,

I’d like to echo the points made by Nick and Steve above, good advice indeed.

Like Steve I sit on an interview panel. There is no real “trick†to the process, just relax as best you can and try to enjoy the experience. Most interviewers will always go out of there way to be friendly and welcoming.

I always advise people I interview to spend as long as they can with us on the day, observing the work, and most importantly talking to the current students. As much as we are trying to discover the people most likely to do well on the training, it is important that you the applicant decide that the college is right for you. If you are going to spend two, or in some cases three years at an institution, make sure it "feels right".

Best of luck.

Mark

My only bit of advice, which can help with the pressure of an interview, is to remember that it's not just about them looking at you, but you looking at them...you are interviewing "them" (or there) just as much as they are interviewing you.

But, most of all, relax.

Thanks for your replies!

One down and one more to go!!

I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be and really enjoyed the day!

I've just got to cross my fingers now!!

Anyone who has an interview at LAMDA coming up-don't worry its great!! (MS- ;) !!!)

Sarah

Thanks for the feedback Sarah.

Rather like Rob, I applied to the National Youth Theatre many years ago as a lampy, and got turned down. After a year spent back at school doing more lighting and spending time working as a volunteer in my local theatre, I was finally accepted. The lesson as ever in this business is that persistance can pay off.

Good luck however if goes....

Thank you for all your advice just thought you'd like to know that it all paid off because I've got a place at LAMDA. You might think I'm boasting but im genuinely really excited about it and wanted to share it with you lovely people!!

;) Sarah :(

• 9 months later...

It's a couple of years since my interview at Central but here's what I remember.

We had a bit of fairly heavy-duty poetry to analyse, and had to find some pictoral responses before the day. They put us into groups to look at all our responses and to talk about our pictures. We did various group things so they could see how we communicated and worked together.

Then we each had an interview with a couple of tutors, which was the usual interview questions - What have you done, Why did you do it like that, Why do you wan't to come here etc etc.

Generally just be yourself and relax. I've made mistakes through emphasing my technical skills and completely forgetting about the team and people aspects of the industry.

Although it's a bit scary, remember they wan't you as much as you wan't them - They need good students as much as you need a place to study (from what I hear Central's courses aren't exactly overflowing :unsure: )

Good luck!

best advice for the central interview is relax and be yourself.

dont try to impress them with what you know as this is not what they are after more that you can and are willing to learn.

which coure are you applying to?

im on the production LX course second year at the moment so if you have any questions please feel free to pm me and ill help any way I can.

good luck and have fun

Ben

Archived