Midas Verona Vs Sound Craft mh2/3

fogg

The venue I work at are considering purchasing either a Midas verona 32 ch desk or a Sound Craft MH2/3 32 channel desk. Now the question is, is the Sound craft really worth the extra money over the midas desk? The desk will be used mainly to run a live band consisting over drums (full mic up) bass and 2 keyboards. This is about 16 channels worth. The reason for having 32 channels is incase the new digital desk coming soon breaks down, we still have 24 channels to get through a show, also means incoming bands could use the channels etc. Basically we just need some feedback from people that have used these desks. One thing I have noticed looking at specs is the midas doesn't have the balanced inserts, has this ever been a problem for anyone here?? Also I like the way the channel strips can be changed easily on the soundcraft. Now this desk will be an install and won't be moved around at all. So it doesn't need to be 100% roadie industructable!

Thanks

The difference is fairly basic. The Soundcraft has far more knobs and buttons and whiz bang features, whereas the Midas sounds better. Which is more important, is for you to decide. Different applications have different priorities.

Note that the 32ch Verona only has 24 mono channels, and 8 stereo channels with reduced functionality. The 32ch MH3 has 32 mono channels, and an additional 4 stereos.

I quite like both desks, but I know plenty of people who don't like the Verona because it doesn't have enough features. Also, it has an annoying quirk, whereby the channel meters don't have a signal present LED at the bottom, only -18db or something like that. So the meter doesn't necessarily light up when there's signal in the channel, only if it's loud enough, which is annoying when you're trying to identify where things are.

Lots of people bought Veronas when they first came out, so they could say they had a Midass (probably), then decided that they didn't like them. As such, if you do like it, then there are quite a few available second hand.

I'm not sure that I would rank the Midas "Verona" on sound quality. It has the Midas name but, in reality, is more of a DDA board with Midas clothing on. There's nothing wrong with Midas/DDA, but nothing legendary either.

Both the Verona and the MH series are good boards but (as I Hate Fisicks points out) there's a somewhat different feature set. Your choice should come down to the functionality you need rather than a generalised opinion of the brand names. Certainly the point about mono vs. stereo channels is a major one to consider. How many channels of which sort do you need?

Bob

Bobbsy has it spot on, its one of the smaller Midas boards and may not be as Midasy as some of the larger ones. I am a big fan of the MH's (so much so I bought a MH4-48) and can't fault them at all.

The decision is yours of course, you need to weigh up what you do and don't want and need from the board. As I said, I go with the MH but thats is my personal opinion based on my like of the MH boards and my experience of reliability with Midas ones.

Rob

Midas Verona - Also nicknamed the Midas "Veruca" vs. the MH2/3 - MH every time on usability and reliability.

Also - The list price I could find for the Verona 400 was similar to the comparable MH2 - I would say that the latter would be a better investment all round, and IIRC, the Verona doesn't have VCAs which the MH2 has got.

M

I was involved in the exact same decision the end of last year. I had used a Midas Verona and also used an MH3 whilst visiting the Cavern in Liverpool. So, we got an MH2 in on demo and I loved that as well.

The MH2 is made from a single block so you can't remove individual or blocks of channels. The MH3 gives you that ability, but at a premium with a few other differences. Price wise an MH2-32 should be around the same price as a Verona, or at least a similar price.

The big advantages the MH2 has are 32 true mono channels and an additional 4 stereo channels, with the another 4 stereo returns available. Balanced inserts, VCA, Aux on faders etc.

From what I've said so far you can probably tell that we went for the MH2. All round it just had better features and the sound quality was pretty similar between the two desks.

Adam

Definately go for the MH. If the budget stretches, get the MH3

I'm not a big fan of any of the small Midas' - anything below H1K (you'll also note there not made in the UK by Midas) but the Verona is the worse of them. Little things like there's no friction on any of the pots so its really easy for anything placed on the surface to alter minor things like gain etc. It also has some really annoying design quirks which don't make it particuarly flexible.

The MH2 or 3 every time, it amazes me that Midas can peddle the Verona on the name alone when it has the feature set of the GB8. It's not that great a desk, sure it's got a name but I can honestly say I've never had any problems with the MH series desks, admittedly a Heritage is nicer, but that's a different price band again. Go with the Soundcraft - it's much better bang for your buck and will be more acceptable due to having VCAs

Regards

Chris

If the potter's budget will run the the Soundcraft desk, then the 'budget' Midas (by comparison, not quality) although a good desk, should be discounted - very different products. We had an MH3 for our panto this year and the sound op was impressed - sonically and physically.

We had a verona like most, nice desk but was limiting on features in use. As a hire company the limited insert points on the Aux & matrix was a pain.

The main issue I had with it was the gain and matrix master knobs, breath and they would move !! I ended up using PVC tape to stop the matrix masters moving on a theatre show after putting my script in he desk and the masters chaging by 20db ( should of bough a H2 and a script tray). Not very good after spending near £10K

Bought a 48channel H4 but that was faulty out of the factory, noise on all the group masters was the problem after Twp days explaining to soundcaft that it was a faulty cable's . Still waiting for a apology from Soundcraft !!!!!!!!.

I do know lots of people who are happy with MH3 though I guess I was unlucky !

Phil

I had an MH2 for a while but had to trade it in for a Midas Heritage. I loved the MH2. Excellent board with every feature you could possibly want. It has really solid build quality. I haven't used the Verona but I keep hearing about the constant problems that people have with them.

Thanks for your help guys, looks like we are definately going for the mh3. The desk is being ordered this week and takes 3 weeks to build so I will give you guys the run down on the desk in a week or 2!

Simon

Archived