How Hot is your bedroom?

Lozza

Hey all,

Ive got a mate who is a little on the old side, he tests, fiddles with and collects old kit in his shed

Ive got another mate, he has a 3 phase 32 amp supply fitted into his bedroom!!!??!

Ive got another mate who has a couple of mini macs wizzing round his bedroom when hes not renting them

the question is how hot is your bedroom?, in other words, what equipment do you have which can fri you eggs.

Ive got a cyberlight turbo scanner in my room atm, that can get pretty warm

Any comments? theres potential to hear about some wacky stuff people have next to their bed!

cheers

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've wondered this before; I have four mini macs and, IIRC, there's a label on them which says 'not for domestic use'. I don't understand this for a couple of reasons - one is why Martin feel it appropriate to try to regulate where I might or might not want to use it (I might decide that they look quite nice either side of the fireplace, for example!) - it's not a safety thing like the apocryphal 'do not use in shower' label on a hair dryer, clearly, as they'll be as safe plugged into my 13A wall ring main as any other hot power supply on a gig.

The other side of it is that it just makes me wonder whether there's some regs that the units don't conform to - is there something like a CE mark for domestic light fittings or something?

Or is it just them covering their backs in our increasingly litigious society? "I want to sue you, I bought these lights for my bedroom but blinded myself by looking into them" - "Sorry sir but they're not for domestic use" - "Oh, sorry to have wasted your time"?!

here here!

I think your probably right on the whole suing matter!

either that or its because carpet blocks essential ventilation slots on fixtures.

Maybe there were some cases of self injury because someone tried to hang a couple of Vls on a curtain rail?

anything else anyone?

Some nearly clean socks, and a pair of old boxers is the most exciting thing on my side, I think there may be a copy of forum and some battery operated appliences on the other side, but don't venture to her side very often. Though can can get very hot, probably as hot as half a dozen city colours, does this count?!? especially as I have to have the wndows closed, neighbours complain about the snoring when I'm home... ask anyone I've shared a tourbus with :unsure:)

A fairly big speaker (250W) being fed off a rather small amp (8W)

Some semi-built R&D LED lamps I've been playing with.

The "not for domestic use" is probably because the fixture gets hot. So they cover themselves from someone getting burnt by clarifying it's not supposed to have idiots people leaning against it when it's on.

I have a mate who built his own (open plan, really quite loverly) house, and what does a lighting inclined bloke have in his lounge? A bar, of course, to hang your lights off, along with enough height to make it worthwhile...

http://www.davidbuckley.name/pix/Image041.jpg

(Lousy photo, camera phone)

He did seem to forget to put in power distribution though, hence the extension leads traipsing down the wall...

The only thing remotely "tech" in my room is my keyboard. My opinion is a bedroom is a place to sleep in. That said, my living room has a few XLR cables strung over the ceiling fan to try and get the kinks out of it (brand new, "coiled" in that really annoying fashion), I have my toolboxes sitting under the futon in there as well, my kitchen table is covered with gel, there is a tripod in my hallway (has a good quality light for taking 'glamor shots'), and a couple of birdies provide light in my kitchen until I get around to figuring out why the light socket in there is always on, no matter what position the switch is in (My theory is dead switch or light socket). The joys of living on a tight budget.

I've hit 45*C in my bedroom, I once had 2 varyscan 4's, 2 superleos, a projector, several computers, 400w of bose sound (RMS!!).

Xbox 360 with a airtight door and dark blue curtains. I have 2 circuits in there (a 10 and a 20 amp) I'm in Aus aswell by the way. I also had a smoke machine for a day. ( had to fix and "test" it.)

... That said, my living room has a few XLR cables strung over the ceiling fan to try and get the kinks out of it (brand new, "coiled" in that really annoying fashion), ...

That's a fantastic idea. Is the fan switched on? I have this imagery of something like the "chairoplanes" at the funfair....

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/878269/1/istockphoto_878269_chairoplane_2.jpg

That's a fantastic idea. Is the fan switched on? I have this imagery of something like the "chairoplanes" at the funfair....

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/878269/1/istockphoto_878269_chairoplane_2.jpg

I have been tempted to gaffer them on and turn it on... the switch is outside the room, so I would be safe... however I would have to move the TV, so it seems like too much work to me.

mmm I've had various LX grear in my bedroom over the last few years but now I only really have an old skool Roboscan 805 that I've just managed to fix again, some cheesy moonflowers, 1500W strobe and loads of gaffa/chains/ranodm bits of gel. The first thing I ever had gear wise was a 3 bank sound 2 light disco light in my room - loved it to bits and my friends thought I was the biz ** laughs out loud **.

Archived