Rock Concert Lighting

DSA

Hi,

Its my last year at school now, and each year in the last week of term before Easter (yes, I know its a while yet, but im planning in the back of my mind!), we have a rock concert for charity, where some school bands play for free to an audience (years 10 and above, if that means anything to you!)

We have, in the past (and indeed plan to again) hired in the professionals to do the PA, and ive been left to do the lighting, which has worked fine.

Last year I think they charged £350 to do it, which I think was quite a lot, seeing as it was for charity and one night only and not a gigantic audience (3-400). I know they need to make money, but.....

Anyway, to the point.....

I thought, as it was my last year, that it would be nice to supplement our 'theatrical' generic rig with some movers of some kind. I have not worked with them before, but feel I hopefully understand from the internet and this forum etc. how to use them....

a) Scanners or moving heads??

b) how many? (stage is pros. with about 10m height, 12??m depth, 12???m width - well fairly large)

c) where should I 'hire' from - this is the main problem - there is no real budget for the event - only outlay is PA, and rest to charity. So it would be nice if they were 'free' for a night.

d) would I need a different desk/controller - have sirius 24 for our rig (does have DMX o/p), however 4 dimmers (betapacks (original)) are run off analogue o/p.

I hope you have some ideas. I'm in Cheltenham if you know anybody/companies who can help.

Best Wishes

David

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realise that that would be a good desk, however we dont have the money to hire one!!!

I know that the school round the corner has an agreement with 'someone' (he wont tell me who!) who loan him their single mac 600 and leap frog when its not hired out elsewhere!

I wondered if a similar agreement could be made for my 1 night event???

Great

I know the chaps at CSS - owner's mother in law is my piano teacher, sister is a teacher at school, and nephew is a friend at church!!!

However Ive only hired one followspot from him before!

Maybe he could help??

I've never tried Peak. What are theyre quotes (discounted) like, and equipment?

Maybe they could throw a couple in if they do the PA too????

So would scans be better?? And do I need a separate controller?

David

if you havent used intelligent lighting much before, then I would recomend scanners, let yourself get used to DMX controll before moving on to a moving light, also I feel the Fat frog, may be a little bit big for you to start with, I would just get one of those cheep DMX controllers, and let your self get used to the idea, of programming intelligent fixtures.

vince

also I think, £350 for PA is quite good, I would want at least that, for providing, PA and aslo sound checking multiple bands.

Also dont forget, this may sound horrible but its true. you are the ones working for charity, not the PA company, and to them its a normal gig.

vince

Not actually used one but my old school hired one to do the scottish play with and the head of lighting hired one to control one mac500 that was doing spot duties on the ghost. He was going to control our analouge dimmers off it as well as the DMX feed to the mac but couldnt figure out how to do that so in the end just used it to control ONE light lolol. Anyhow he managed to program it and hes a bit thick with intelligent lights....

Dave

They had the ghost character done two ways: 1) a couple of times standing on a construction on our balcony (lighting/sound booth caked in black to look good cos audience were looking up that way), 2) on stage walking down a stage the entire length of hall. Static at location 1, but for 2 it followed him (manually interrupted cos it was easier to preprogram it at final rehearsal walking pace then pause it if it was too slow I think).

Dave

if you havent used intelligent lighting much before, then I would recomend scanners, let yourself get used to DMX controll before moving on to a moving light, also I feel the Fat frog, may be a little bit big for you to start with, I would just get one of those cheep DMX controllers, and let your self get used to the idea, of programming intelligent fixtures.

Have to disagree with you ... why not jump straight into moving heads? The only advantages of scanners over moving heads are the speed of movement, and the fact that you don't have to worry about flipped focus. The former is only really an issue if you're doing something like a rave, where you might need really quick movement - the latter is easily avoided by following some basic programming rules (mainly the one that says "tilt first, pan second"!).

And as for those cheap and nasty "DMX controllers" for moving lights ... forget it if you value your sanity. Far better to spend a little more money and get a proper lighting desk. The Fat Frog, while it's not a favourite of mine, would seem to be an ideal choice of desk for someone coming to moving light programming for the first time.

2) on stage walking down a stage the entire length of hall. Static at location 1, but for 2 it followed him (manually interrupted cos it was easier to preprogram it at final rehearsal walking pace then pause it if it was too slow I think).

Yeah, right - why use something simple like a follow-spot when you can go to the expense and bother of hiring a Mac500 and a Fat Frog just to do one effect in the show? :)

Sounds like a follow-spot would have been a much better solution for you - no need to worry about the pace being slower or faster than usual, the spot op can go at the speed of the actor. And no fear of the turn being in the wrong place for the light, coz the light moves to pick up the turn! But hey, I guess if you wanted an excuse to play with moving lights then it was entirely justified! :P

Just an idea, but if your asking a hire co for a free hire for the night, would it best to try and not to ask for anything too fancy, so you've got more chance of getting it?

If you've only got the one day to fit it all up, get it working, programming it etc, then you might not have enough time to do what you want with it (esp seeing as you'b be using new equipment), and therfore a rig of Pars (3/4 colour wash, some rock style 'Fans' (see pics below for example), random air/beam effects etc) and Profiles with breakup gobos in might be a more effective rig, as you could spend a lot more time programming it to how you want to it to look etc etc. If it came down to only have 2 / 3 hours to programme the movers you just might not have enough time to get those looks your after, which I'm sure would disappoint you as you seem to be putting alot of thought and effort into this gig!

Just a thought!

Good luck with it all!

Stu

PS. Make sure you get a hazer or smoke machine whatever rig you end up using!

PPS. This is what I meant by Fan, I realise I didn't explain very well!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/lighting/caps/fan.jpg

and

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/lighting/caps/fan2.jpg

Archived