Police Uniforms

mikeburnie

What's the crack on using police uniforms on stage.

How realistic are they allowed to be - is it possible to get/hire the equipment belt with fake stick / handcuffs etc

What about police walkie talkies is it possible to get some fake ones ?

We are putting on a play called Rumours and there are two police officers at the end that have police radios on them. They keep receiving info over the walkie talkies (we can use sound effects)

Or is it possible to hire the whole lot from one place.

Any advice greatfully received.

In theory it is illegal to 'impersonate a Police Officer', but in practise I've never had any problems including on film shoots where there were actors in Police uniforms in the street. We informed the Police what we were going to do and then only had the actors remove their coats (covering their uniforms) when we went for a take.

Most costume hire companies will hire out Police uniforms of verifying degrees of accuracy including belts, truncheons and handcuffs. As for the radios I don't know who does them that work, you could try posting on the Sound threads.

... there were actors in Police uniforms in the street.

<_<

One of our buildings at work is regularly used as the "Maryhill Police Station" set (external and foyer) for Taggart. They just change the signs outside, cover over all the internal logos with "Strathclyde Police" signs etc. It takes about a day to rig before they start filming.

On the wall beside the road, there are lots of signs, maps, building names etc. The set builders just cover these with "Police Parking Only" signs.

And nobody parks there all day.... Well, I do sometimes :(

• 1 year later...

When the police used Pye and Burndept radios that were very distinctive, then there was the feeling that anybody having one must have stolen them! I even ended up in a Police Station attempting to get some poor licenced radio user who'd bought some brand new from the manufacturer released!

The Met had a liking for Mororolas in the late 80's and 90's - now you still see motorolas in use, but they now have dual function Nokias and other clever kit. So the historical accuracy is the key. Pretty well all these, apart from the current Airwave systems are on eBay - the older kit very often dirt cheap. If they need to really work, then getting somebody to reprogramme some Motorolas to receive only on the PMR446 channels would kind of get around the regs - if they receive on a frequency for which a licence is not required, this isn't likely to cause problems, and you can talk to them from any £10 walkie talkie. You can't legally transmit on them as they have features that break the PMR446 spec - but I'd be happy to let them squalk.

All that said, most people wouldn't have a clue, so any chunky radio would work.

In theory it is illegal to 'impersonate a Police Officer',

Sorry a bit late but I've only just joined the forum, for future reference the law has specific provisions for theatre, film and TV i.e. it's perfectly legal.

Martin.

I thought that section 90 of this act was the relevant legislation. This says that you can own police uniforms for lawful purposes but not impersonate a police officer. I have always assumed that this meant it was legal to have them in the costume store but possibly not on an good actor.

If you could post a link to the

specific provisions for theatre, film and TV i.e. it's perfectly legal.

I would love to read it as I have had a quick search and can not find it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

and if your based in London, there's www.tellycars.com who hire out police cars, prison trucks and riot vans along with uniforms too....

As MFX1 mentioned, using uniforms on stage or inside theaters there is no isssue in wearing a uniform, as long as you don't wear the uniform outside in a public place.

If you are making a film for TV and you wish to shoot in a public place putside with actors wearing a uniform, then it is best to contact your local police for permission, many (like the London Met) may send real police officers to the location of the shoot to oversee that you don't do anything wrong.

Any actors in uniform should then cover up the uniform when not filming

When we did 'Rumours' a couple of years ago we used a couple of Arktis police vests purchased on eBay and PMR446 radios that look something like the Airwave ones from a distance. Depends on how realistic you want to go.

Archived