Computers for sound

Al Cain

I want to buy a new laptop for university, (LIPA 3year BA in "Theatre and Performance Technology") and I am not sure whether to go for an Apple or PC.

Presumably there is a high risk of some sound work needing doing (editing, etc.) so I want something fast and reliable.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Alex C :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to buy a new laptop for university, (LIPA 3year BA in "Theatre and Performance Technology") and I am not sure whether to go for an Apple or PC.

Presumably there is a high risk of some sound work needing doing (editing, etc.) so I want something fast and reliable.

Don't buy one before you know what is needed.

When I was at uni there were sample machines with standard software in the computer labs we were expected to use for coursework. Most of the coursework notes and guides were written around these machines and their configurations. You might feel silly if you bought a PC and were given notes relating to an apple..

By all means look arround and get an idea of the market though - when you do get a machine you want to know you are paying a fair price for one.

James

(Works with protools machines for sound editing on both macs and PCs so is sitting on the fence)

[wearing University IT support hat]

Ask your university for their advice - they may offer a higher level of support for one platform or the other, and may have preferencial purchasing schemes.

[/wearing University IT support hat]

...but it's verging on the bounds of acceptability for the blue room. We're not an IT support forum...

Get a Mac Book Pro. Runs both OSX, and as it's an intel chip inside, you can also load a copy of Windows XP, giving one decent OS and then a shoody OS......

That means you get a great laptop, that still beats the competition in tnerms of looks and weight, connectivity and OS, and if you really need to, you can use Windows.

Just to agree with the post above, the intel Macs support dual-booting into either OSX or WindowsXP, so as long as you have a legit copy of XP, then you get the best of both worlds.

Get a PC, is my advise, 90% of the propriatrey software written for the audio industry is PC based, yes, Tools is originally Mac, but PC version is identical to all intents...

Most plot software is for PC's and RTA software and the like is more redily availible. I'd say macs for domestic or design defiently, but for audio, especially if your going to be doing any hardware control and a bit of editing, then PCs are the most cost efective, and sensible, as everybody will always develop for windows, and your not pasying a massive overhead for style, which is, in my apinion, money that could be spent on a good edirol or similar

Jon

A couple of other thoughts.

I find a lot of problems with laptops being used for sound work is that there is often a lot of power supply noise on the analouge audio outputs.

If you intend to use a laptop without investing in a good quality external audio interface pleace consider getting one with a digital audio output and a nice small A>D to go with it.

James

I've used Apple Macs for audio work in theatre nearly all the time - I originally used Logic on both platforms (my school using a mac workstation), and then made the switch when eMagic were taken over by Apple.

Again, like everyone says, you should check what your uni uses. Some departments use Macs heavily, others not at all. It is worth noting that if your course or your work will ever require you to use WYSIWYG, a PC is probably the better option.

If you intend to use a laptop without investing in a good quality external audio interface pleace consider getting one with a digital audio output and a nice small A>D to go with it.

Dragging this thread off at a tangent... there have been several threads relating to PSU noise on laptops. They are worth readin, if somewhat inconclusive.

I have 2 tosh laptops. Both are fine when running from batteries. Both are fine when running from the older PSU. But both are very noisy when using the newer PSU.

I also use a USB audio interface (a Steinberg M2, I think), which has the same problem - very noisy when using the newer PSU...

All my proprietary audio editing and playback software runs on a PC so that's what I use. There are equivalents for most things on Mac but they tend to be rather more expensive for what they do.

But the best advice so far is to find out what your uni is using...there's no doubt you want compatability with that more than any advice I could give.

Oh, and I'd treat the Intel based Macs with caution for the same reason. As I understand it, not all original-Mac software has been ported across to their new OS yet.

Bob

Get a PC, is my advise, 90% of the propriatrey software written for the audio industry is PC based, yes, Tools is originally Mac, but PC version is identical to all intents...

Jon

Except that the MacBook Pro is an INTEL chip, therefore will run both OS's on the same machine. My original PowerBook has beautifully clean audio outputs. The Macbooks also have onboard Firewire for running higher spec I/O options. That's on top of the Digital and Analog inputs and outputs they have. And as an AV guy, the DVI graphics output is a bonus not seen on other 'PC' Laptops. I think testament to this is that there were at least two artisits a day that used Apple laptops (iBooks, or PowerBooks, ranging from the 5yr old well loved and failing apart to the brand new) and iTunes or other soaftware for playback etc on stage, yet not a single PC was seen....

The next laptop (when my Powerbook dies) will be a Macbook, as I will finally be able to take a Laptop on the road which will run the proprietry control software for Christie and Extrons equipment, and then switch back to OSX for everything else.

Ok you pay more for them, but I'd rather do that and have a great stable OS that really requires minimal technical work to keep it doing, the fact there are no known viruses and trojans, and the great design and build. But that's me... (and desparately trying to keep it on topic)

The ONLY reason I would buy a Mac is if I was to want to do graphic design or such like.

If you are wanting to use Cubase/ProTools or similar then a Mac is supposedly more suitable there...but other than that wouldnt touch them with a barge pole! You would end up having a Mac for work and a PC for everything else, because the Mac cant run anything else ... I've heard from reliable Mac groupies that a lot of software isnt compatible with Win on a Mac (I would assume hardware difficulties) but that is only what I have heard! Not too sure why Little DJ suggests that windows laptops dont have DVI outputs, cos that is just plain not true (if u look hard enough)! I have Firewire on my win laptop as well...

Sorry, I am trying to keep this as theatre related as possible!

My advice...buy a PC

Tom

PS - seems suitable to drop in

Okay, I'll state up front that I'm dosed on painkillers and hurting after a dose of physiotherapy so I'm in a snappy mood, but.....

What part of "find out what will be used on your course and go for compatbility" don't the various Mac and PC evangelists in this thread understand? Either system can be made to work, but it seems pointless to me to be using hardware/software that's not the same as you'll have on your course.

While I'm having a rant, let me expand it a bit farther. A major complaint I have about much of the advice on this forum is what happens when somebody asks "what speakers do I need?" and somebody else chimes straight in with "the superdingus 2000 is a great cabinet..you should buy four".

All too often, advice is given without due consideration of the needs and uses of the original poster. Yes, it seems boring to fire back a list of "what are you using it for" type questions, but that level of info is all-too-often essential before it's possible to give even a partially-informed opinion. When somebody's hard-earned cash is involved, I think it's important to try and understand the project rather than just fire off a generic list of favourite equipment.

End of pain-induced rant.

Bob

Archived