what fresnels to buy

tivoliproduction

my venue may have some money to spend in the next few months and I would like to buy some 1k/1.2k fresnels and was wondering what to go for, this may have been mentioned before but I couldnt find anything specific! I currently have 4 cantata fresnels which were purchased a couple of years ago ex hire. I also have 4 very old but very good berkey fresnels which are worth their weight in gold.

im happy to look at various options but have been recommended to go for fresnels rather than pc's.

there are also other lanterns onthe list but they are covered by source 4's etc.

thanks

Why not just go for some more Cantata fresnels? They'll match the units you already have, both optically and in terms of accesories/colour size, and there are plenty available second-hand at the moment.

If buying second hand, cantatas will be your best bet.

When buying new lanterns for a smaller venue, you may sometimes do better to buy cheaper brands - they are no-where near as robust as the likes of Strand, but in many venues they will get nothing like the abuse that many touring or hired instruments will get.

was thinking of adding another 8 to the rig, it is not the biggest lighting rig in the world and is mostly par 64's, so a few fresnels for the drama etc are always worth investing in. I have heard a few good things about the new selecon fresnels, I will have to speak to the bloke I deal with at stage lx when he gets back from holiday. I think the best way is to get demo units in and see what works well for with the funds available.

I have heard a few good things about the new selecon fresnels, I will have to speak to the bloke I deal with at stage lx when he gets back from holiday.

I think Selecon have got some demo days coming up soon - beginning of May? Stephen Bray from Stage LX in london mentioned it to me. Might be worth trying before your contact gets back frm holiday in case you miss out.

We've just stocked up with cantatas for our new space, and I'm not entirely convinced - have they redesigned the lamp house? we seem to burn through a lot of colour at the moment, so I'm wondering whether the lamp is closer to the lens or something - I don't remember suffering this with our older cantatas from the old theatre.

My fresnel of choice is the pattern 743 - once you've solved all the light leak problems they suffer from nowadays, the beam spread and quality is nice.

My fresnel of choice is the pattern 743 - once you've solved all the light leak problems they suffer from nowadays, the beam spread and quality is nice.
And added a bit of earth braid here and there. That said I do agree that there is little to beat them, the new Selecons are OK too.

Archived