Pearl and 'tap twice to set speed'

pscandrett

Hi

We've got a Pearl 2000 which I've recently upgraded to the 2004 firmware, without incident and generally with no problems. However, I don't know if I'm going mad or whether a particular thing has changed...

When setting the speed of a chase 'on the fly' with the 'tap twice to set chase speed' button in Run mode, I'm sure that in the 2004 software the speed it sets is... not quite right. That is, no matter what I do, I really struggle to get the speed of the chase to match the beat. Now, this isn't necessarily a slur on my rhythmic ability as before I upgraded I'd never had a problem with it at all... but ever since I've updated the software I've struggled to get the chase to happen on the beat (and this is with the same rig/setup, so it's not like I'm working with more responsive dimmers or anything!).

Am I going mad and misremembering how easy it was before, or is there actually a problem with it?

I think it's the latter but am prepared to accept that it might just be the former :-)

Perhaps I should get a metronome out or something and have a play in a quieter moment...

Thanks

Having never had a proper play with the 2000 I can agree with you that the 2004 often isnt quite right with the beat...maybe its something to do with fade/crossover time? Just a stab in the dark...

You kinda get used to it after a while!! :)

Don't worry. You are not going mad! This is now a known bug with the latest software.

Aha! Thanks. (I reserve the right to go mad anyway...!)

I guess there'll be an announcement to the Pearl mailing list when it's done? (I'm on the Pearl 1.2 mailing list...)

Don't worry. You are not going mad! This is now a known bug with the latest software. Strangely enough it was only discovered very recently. Will be fixed ASAP!

You know when something happens and you think, oh it can't be the desk...it must be me......know the feeling?!?

Often it is me :( But yes, I know that feeling well! Sometimes problems go for a long time without being noticed. It is important that users report faults, even if they turn out to be 'user orientated'! Although the software is tested there are too many functions/permutations and only the real world will reveal some issues. If noone reports then they go unfixed.

I will post here when the next version is released.

Interestingly, I'm not familiar with this feature, but I have a Edirol vision mixer that has a tap button to set BPM. It takes a good 5-6 taps before it gets the BPM with any kind of accuracy. I can't see how the Avo could do it with two.

Guest lightnix
Then again, 80-90% of pop tunes run at 120 bpm, so chase step times of 0.5, 1 and 2 secs usually work well as defaults :(

Interestingly, I'm not familiar with this feature, but I have a Edirol vision mixer that has a tap button to set BPM. It takes a good 5-6 taps before it gets the BPM with any kind of accuracy. I can't see how the Avo could do it with two.

FWIW, the only tricky part is deciding when something is a 'first tap' or not. After that, the accuracy of two taps depends on the operator. We allow you to keep tapping if a user needs more than two to find the beat. I'm not sure about Avo.

-jjf

From my (limited) experience of the feature it does perform much the same as a tap timing fuction of a delay unit - ie. you can tap more than twice if you like. However, at the moment it specifically does not enter the correct timing - it is not a fault of the method, but a bug in the calculation. I get the impression this function is not widely used. Most users, including myself will adjust speed by wheel. Thus the reason it took so long to be noticed!

I get the impression this function is not widely used. Most users, including myself will adjust speed by wheel. Thus the reason it took so long to be noticed!

Well I do use it a lot but I did not upgrade my old pearl so... now I'm waiting for a bug patch but I have an excuse for being lazy upgrading :(

I get the impression this function is not widely used. Most users, including myself will adjust speed by wheel. Thus the reason it took so long to be noticed!
Not too sure I agree. I think the reason it took so long to be noticed is that it's a 'nice' feature, one which people don't need to use. All the lampies I know who use Pearls all use the tap button, but if it doesn't give you quite the right speed, you don't immediately think "oooh! bug!" As it is, I've got used to tapping a speed and then nudging the wheel to give me the correct chase speed, I almost do it without thinking about it... If it was such an unused feature, I don't think this forum, and the Avo forum would have quite as many people going "I noticed that, thought I was going mad" :(

Incidentally, can anyone confirm another Avo bug for me... On the Azure Shadow, in program mode, hold down the flash buttons for playback 4 and 5, then press one of the rightmost palette buttons (5, 10, 15, 20). On both our desks, this will cause the desk to think you've pressed one of the adjacent change mode buttons. Anyone else come across this?

Often it is me :( But yes, I know that feeling well! Sometimes problems go for a long time without being noticed. It is important that users report faults, even if they turn out to be 'user orientated'! Although the software is tested there are too many functions/permutations and only the real world will reveal some issues. If noone reports then they go unfixed.

I will post here when the next version is released.

Hi Nick,

Has this been 'officialy' flagged as a bug? We weren't given any further info on the Avo board...

Regards,

Andy

@Andy: Yes :(

@Mystic: You should upgrade! The 2000 builds contain some serious bugs which for a long time were considered hardware related. The new functions are very useful, especially palettes.

@Dosxuk: Sure. Maybe I was wrong to say that, but is rather a moot point. What I did want to convey was not to assume it is always you or hardware. All too often I would hear people comment "it doesn't work" etc. Most of the time this would be the user who 'didn't work', but if it was a genuine bug it probably wasn't going to get fixed unless someone actually detailed the problem.

All the lampies I know who use Pearls all use the tap button, but if it doesn't give you quite the right speed, you don't immediately think "oooh! bug!" As it is, I've got used to tapping a speed and then nudging the wheel to give me the correct chase speed, I almost do it without thinking about it...

Couldn't of summed it up better myself! Do be honest even in the old Pearl 2000 software I quite often nuged the wheel to get it right on for me, only the new software seems to be further out most times. At the end of the day it's a computer calculation and if your working with a live band they're never going to keep to that beat perfectly anyway!

Archived