Cable Pegs/Wall ideas

Ashley R

Hi All

Currently in the middle of devising a new method of storing all of our cable stock (3 phase, harting looms, 240V Ext) , and have been looking at how others have built their cable peg's and I am on the hunt for more ideas!

Pretty much a case of 'show me what you got' and any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated, currently have a scheme based on using pallet racking beams, but I keep changing my mind.

Cheers All

How much ?

We have pallets, big cables (3 phase, soca etc) is on pallets with wheels, smaller cables are either in pallet draws or we just made a bunch of bins that ae on pallet stands. Everything is devided up in style and size, it works great.

We also have space for all the small schuko / powercon / adapters / combi cables.

Fifty years ago we used to put 2" VTR tape reels through a bandsaw to make two really robust wall hangers for cables. The front plate could be unscrewed so that the back half could be fixed to the wall. Sadly, I doubt that you'll find them any more.

http://www.obsoletemedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2-inch-Ampex-video-tape-reel.png

We use scaff - standard 48.3mm steel seemed to be the easiest option. Cable sits nicely on it and it's easy to see at a glance what you have in stock. Then shelves and tubs for smaller items.

It has gradually expanded over the years (in fact as I'm writing this one of our guys is adding more pegs) but seems to have scaled well. I have recently started offloading some larger quantities of cable into old trunks etc. - things like socapex that is rarely used, and power cable that only comes out to play during festival season.

In terms of the structure itself, we were able to run bars across girders at ceiling height, which meant we didn't have to worry too much about how it would stay upright etc. The weight of cable will exert quite a force, so fastening into a wall might be tricky.

Fifty years ago we used to put 2" VTR tape reels through a bandsaw to make two really robust wall hangers for cables. The front plate could be unscrewed so that the back half could be fixed to the wall. Sadly, I doubt that you'll find them any more.

That takes me back. With a bit of melted lead they made good mic-stand bases as well, & the polystyrene packaging blocks were great for loft-insulation.

Archived