Button Triggered Projection Mapped Content

Starbuckle

I'm new to the forum, so hello!

I saw this video on YouTube and wondered how it was done.

I'm interested in the section at 1:06 where the user is able to cycle through projected content using a button on the cake (assuming the demonstrator isn't a stooge and pressing it in time with pre-rendered cuts... I don't think this is the case).

I'm not looking for an explanation of projection mapping. Though my knowledge is limited, I'm comfortable using consumer projectors and projection mapping software to play video content from a laptop. I don't, however, know much else about AV or electronics more widely. Not enough to be able to figure this out anyway!

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated :)

Hard to say if they are pressing a real button or if some camera 'trickery' is at work.....

If it is a real button it could be a hidden wireless 'presenter' or 'clicker' controlling PowerPoint or other similar software. They may have opened a commonly available wireless presenter and soldered on an external button suitable for mounting on the cake.

I couldn't say how it is actually done in this instance, but it would be a simple matter for an operator to time the 'go' on a cue stack such as Qlab or Isadora with the (pretty clear) movements of the performer (or stooge as you call her). Especially for a youtube sequence where I imagine retakes are possible. Slightly trickier to do in a live theatre environment, but perfectly possible with a bit of rehearsal.

Also, I note that you can't see the performer's right hand, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the operator and the performer is the same person, left hand pressing the patisserie, right hand pressing the space bar on a laptop running Qlab....

or the performer could be watching an off-camera timer to coordinate with a pre-edited continuous video sequence., having memorised the timings...

or, as Simon says, not exactly rocket science to make a remote control button which could be mounted on the cake.

so all in all, a number of options to achieve this effect.

Can I have a piece of cake now, please?

Looking at the video from the beginning, there does appear to be a couple of big panel mount buttons or something embedded in there behind the final icing(?) buttons on top, so chances are it could be real.

Plenty of software packages that could mimic the playback & flickering, the easiest way to achieve wireless switching would probably be to butcher a wireless presentation remote (or wireless mouse for the two button presses?), wiring the two switches out to big push switches and embed it.

If you look around the 22/23 second mark appears to test the buttons & look at something off camera

Thanks for the responses so far http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif

Ahh, ok. So one way to do it might be to rig up a 'button' inside the cake from a wireless mouse, then have the cursor hovered over GO in Qlab, for example, and trigger content that way? Are there any more elegant methods? (By the way, am I a snob for not wanting to get involved with PowerPoint...?)

Can I have a piece of cake now, please?

Andy, if you feel like a trip to Portugal... looks like they've got plenty to spare.

Though it piqued my technical curiosity, this cake concept is a bit hygienically flawed... If you wanted to achieve the same effect but with a fake remote control, would you use the same presentation remote or wireless mouse approach?

Ahh, ok. So one way to do it might be to rig up a 'button' inside the cake from a wireless mouse, then have the cursor hovered over GO in Qlab, for example, and trigger content that way? Are there any more elegant methods?

Send OSC from a custom unit in the cake to move to the next cue. Sort of open sound/show cake.

There are so many ways to skin that cat... depending on the application you are using - OSC (Open Sound Control), MSC (Midi Show Control), MIDI, RS232, Ethernet, USB HID (a device that appears as a mouse or keyboard).

Thanks. Which of those would be the most appropriate for Qlab?

And guys... the puns... I don't know if you're doing it to get a rise out of me or batter my confidence because I'm a newbie, but I'm in tiers over here...

Being serious for a moment, qlab is happy being triggered by OSC, MSC, Midi note change, serial, telnet ... it depends what you feel most comfortable setting up. Hovering over the Go button with a wireless mouse wouldn't be my 1st choice though.

agreed, It's extremely easy to end up clicking with the curser in the wrong place when using a mouse. though I have used a bluetooth keyboard to trigger Qlab at a few metres' distance from the actual computer... I only remember experiencing a problem when the battery in the keyboard needed replacing, otherwise pretty reliable.

Simpler still, at home we’ve got a Bluetooth enabled “button” for my disabled daughter to control apps on her iPad. It also works very nicely as a slide advance for Powerpoint, and I’ve also had it mapped to advance columns in Resolume Arena!

the good thing about using the bluetooth keyboard was no further programming or button mapping is required (unless you want to set up hotkeys to trigger effects independently of your main cue list). it works with Qlab exactly as a default wired keyboard works.

having a single button could be useful in some circumstances, like building in to cakes!

The Logitech presentation remotes we have mimic a 'page up' & 'page down' button keypress & appear to the OS as a USB keyboard, so Page up & down couple just be mapped in QLab to previous & next or something. Not sure if that is the same for all remotes.

The mouse I was thinking more of for Powerpoint where the left mouse click is already mapped to next slide - I wouldn't recommend it for hovering over the Go button.

Archived