Strand GSX

rothackerben8

Hi there everyone, So we have a show coming up and our good desk is in use. We have a Strand GSX that has an issue. So the battery was leaking about 2 years ago, we replaced that, then about 12 months ago it went flat. I decided to solder a new one into the board but now the unit won't power up at all. I've had this problem before, when it went flat. It's like power is not getting to the CMOS Chip (I think this is how it works, I'm not deep into electronics). It may also be that a trace has been corroded, not making contact. So my question is has anyone else had this problem before? How did you fix it? or does anyone have a circuit diagram I could look at? It would be great to get this one going, not just as a functional desk but it would be cool using a 20 year old desk that is still relevant in this day and age, so replacing it is not an option. Hope someone can help me out. Cheers. Ben

The mobo on my LBX was damaged beyond repair after the battery leaked. The tracks were turning to dust according DrV who checked it out (under a microscope).

Yes, I'm afraid I don't even try to fix them any more if they have had a bad battery leak. It is possible to get them going but once the electrolyte has wicked along the tracks another one will fail in short order. The problem appears to be that electrolyte is capable of travelling along between the solder resist and the track. Even if you clean everything off the surface of the PCB you can't get all of it. It also goes down the plated through holes and removes the connection to inner layer tracks. Yuk!

That sounds just like the problem one of our local groups had with their GSX, which DrV worked his magic on and got going again.

That one had a faulty D.C. inlet (barrel) connector so when you removed the plug it didn't connect the supply through from the XLR inlet. Had a load of other things wrong too but that was the main one. And it's not 'magic' - it's called 'logical step by step fault diagnosis!!!'☺

Archived