Confused - Neutron Hazer!

MickieMackieMoo

My good old neutron XS has been working for years and years... serviced and looked after

Now I get the single flash and no haze!!

The heat tube gets hot, the inline pump works ( by shorting the two pins ) the air pump is working.... but its just falls over when the fan kicks in!

if you drop abit of fluid on the end of the heat tube it burns off and produces haze....

Ive tried all my usual tricks im stuck

any ideas?

Hi there Mickie,

A single flash fault is very rare. It means that the Din plug is not connected or there's an NTC sensor failure.

I'd suggest checking the connections in the Din plug, check for dry joints, any connection/joint that has come loose or looks disconnected. Possibly put some new solder on the joints just to be sure.

The 10k NTC is mounted between pins 2 and 4 in the Din plug, worth checking that afterwards. Probably easiest way is to use a multimeter and measure the DC voltage across the screw terminals labelled G and NTC, as far as I can see it should be around 1.66V or so if its operating correctly.

Mark

(I'm an engineer at LeMaitre btw)

Hi Mark

Opps ... sorry it is a double flash

I'm getting about 1.92 measuring where you said!!

michael

Hi there Mickie,

A single flash fault is very rare. It means that the Din plug is not connected or there's an NTC sensor failure.

I'd suggest checking the connections in the Din plug, check for dry joints, any connection/joint that has come loose or looks disconnected. Possibly put some new solder on the joints just to be sure.

The 10k NTC is mounted between pins 2 and 4 in the Din plug, worth checking that afterwards. Probably easiest way is to use a multimeter and measure the DC voltage across the screw terminals labelled G and NTC, as far as I can see it should be around 1.66V or so if its operating correctly.

Mark

(I'm an engineer at LeMaitre btw)

Going to tourch it now!!! Tranny is dead ��

Hi Mickie,

Sorry for the late response, I've been out at PLS Frankfurt.

1.92V isn't terrible, seems like the NTC is ok, thats around an ambient temperature of 16deg which isn't unrealistic.

A double flash means that the tube took an excessive time to heat up to max temperature, which either means a loose or bad thermocouple fitting onto the tube element, or a higher than desired resistance in the tube current path (loose connections etc). There is another condition which could mimic this fault, that being a drop in line voltage, immediately on commencement of a cleaning phase and a reduced voltage is applied. (High line resistance due to mains cabling etc.) This may cause too little power applied to the tube, and hence an excessive heat up time. Its tough to diagnose without really having the machine in front of us though.

I'm a little surprised the tranny is dead, but if so that's a quick replacement fix. It does however throw an additional issue into the mix which makes further diagnosis difficult as now the tube cannot heat at all.

The main original problem from this though seems to be the tube which sounds like it needs replacing due to the thermocouple, there's no easy fix/trick for that apart from replacement unfortunately.

With sensor problems though its always tough to be 100% sure because it could be the sensor itself or the 'downstream' electronics (unlikely though).

I'd suggest if possible to send it in to us and we can do the repair and get it back to you asap.

I have another unit coming back to me Saturday so I'm going to swap some bits between the two to verify whats playing up

For now I've gutted the machine, de-greased it, cleaned up all the electrical terminals etc. to minimise any resistance etc..

the thermocouple is new (under a month)...

Going to have a play at the weekend, email the lady your end to get a new tranny ordered up cause there is naff all voltage coming out of this one..

To be fair this unit has done me well for touching 16 years now and only had one thermocouple change.... so cant grumble

thanks mickie

Archived