Seeking Music Suggestions for Sound Level Tests

allanr

I'm looking for suggestions for (horrible) 'music' tracks to play through our PA system, to assist with sound level measurements in our church-style hall.

The normal ceilidh band evenings aren't a problem, but some private lets involve DJs (birthdays etc.), and we need to take practical steps to establish what sound levels are / are not acceptable.

I realise the whole business of sound control is complex, but for the moment some suggestions for really annoying music (the type that drives neighbours crackers) would be appreciated, preferably still available to purchase / download.

Thanks.

Just be cautious when using 'modern' chart music as test tracks when other people are in the building, as somewhere around 25%+ of the top 40 contains some serious profanity. (sexual, racist, violent etc)

In a church hall for example, I'm sure the Vicar or the lady sorting the flowers would love to hear a load of effing and jeffing at 102db while you ask them if it's too loud.... :o

It's a while since I played CDs in church halls for kids parties but you'll get clean versions of quite a few recent tracks, including a few really annoying ones by buying the latest Now That's What I Call Music! album

In a church hall for example, I'm sure the Vicar or the lady sorting the flowers would love to hear a load of effing and jeffing at 102db while you ask them if it's too loud.... :o

Surely in that situation you could just play The Proclaimers at 102dB. Or "Now That's What I Call Music... Songs of Praise Edition"

1414869730[/url]' post='510397'] Or "Now That's What I Call Music... Songs of Praise Edition"

Such things exist, known as Wow instead of Now. Some might suggest the quality of music therein contained is of a similar calibre, if not worse.

There is the alternative school of thought that if your venue isn't suitable for discos then you shouldn't hire it for discos. I'm sorry but if your venue isn't suitable for repetitive beat music at 105db for the hours of 9pm to midnight then be honest and don't take disco bookings.

If you're simply aiming to assess the likihood of complaint then use content that is representative of private bookings with DJ.. Eg commercial pop with a bass beat and a BPM of 85+ or so.. Bruno Mars (locked out). Saturday's (forever). Plan B (prayin')

Locate the 'nearest noise sensitive premises' to conduct assessment. Select time of day that is representative, ie evenings, weekends, post 23:00 if license permits. Check for airborne leakage where doors or windows are likely to be left open or opening frequently like front door, staff doors, smoking area etc. Check transmission through adjoining walls etc.

If doing propagation tests I start with pink noise to assess path attenuation. Followed by a few different tracks to assess bass line, beats, lead Vox/Gtr etc - Nina Simone (my baby just cares...), Dust Bro's (chemical beats), Evil Nine (Crooked), Foo Fighters (walk).

But really no point reaching for "extreme noise terror" if the typical booking is the "max bygraves appreciation society".. Go with what is representative.

If you want the income from hires for discos then you must keep the noise inside while ventilating the room (or they WILL open the doors and windows). You also need to keep the departing guests (profit centres -they pay!) quiet for their walk to transport away.

Archived