Headphones for school studio

TomHoward

Hi

Has anyone found a suitable headphone for school recording studio, for tracking. I need to replace them again.

We have DT-150s through our edit workstations, which are fine but I'm looking for something around £30-40 if possible.

Closed back and reasonably robust. I've tried:

Thomann Superlux but we found the cables get internal breaks where the cable enters the headphone (may not be all models)

HD201s but they aren't robust enough and snap at the swivel point if sat / stood on

If there isn't anything viable or if it goes much about budget I can just order more HD 150s. But I need about 4-6 pairs so it'll be a big budget difference.

Sonic performance isn't really as important (i.e. the HD 150s probably over-perform in this) as it's school musicians tracking, not for mix down etc.

I use the red5 hedphones for throw away work - saves my senn set for best. the straight cable helps - I wouldn't say that you can't destroy them but they do feel robust for the price and aren't bad sonically.

Archived