help regarding peavey eurosys

philliri

Hi

Firstly please excuse my total lack of technical knowledge. My son's band uses a peavey eurosys pa system, powered by a peavey c800 amp. This has worked without problems for the last 3 years until a disco mate borrowed it and somehow has blown the drivers and the horn in the top speakers (that's the bit that sits on the pole - sorry !) I've checked with another amp to confirm that they are indeed dead. The disco guy said that when he turned on his mixer there was a loud click from the amp. I am sure it is in within my diy skills to replace the speakers but what with, and from where ? The only data I can see on the big bass unit (which seems fine) - is 4ohms, 250w cont, 500w program, 1000w peak. The blown drivers in the top speakers just have 8ohms printed on them and I can find no information on the horns, which just say "peavey"

I would be very grateful for any help, I am under pressure to get this band out on the road again ! I don't need to upgrade-just replace with similar units. Many thanks

Do check to see if the lightbulb has blown

see this thread

bulb

The bulb normally just protects the HF unit - but I guess that maybe the DJ just turned things up a little to try and work out what had happened - maybe fring the voice coil and shorting the output Ten minutes with a meter should help you work out which bits have gone. You might find the bulb/fuse means the HF units will still be ok, and you just need to replace the LF drivers - for which, Peavey, as mentioned will be able to help. Worst case is that the crossover has died too.

I presume Disco mate is going to pay for all this?

thanks guys, but where should I be looking for the fuse/lightbulb ? presumably in the bass units 'cos I've now taken the top speakers apart and there's nothing in there except the driver and the horn. I've borrowed another set of tops this morning, connected them up and everything is back to normal. Does this indicate that everything is fine except for the tops ?

sounds like it Phil,

I´d also have a word with www.allangordon.co.uk they have loads of speaker components and they´re where I go if my horns blow in some of my speakers.

They seem pretty knowledgeable and should know which HF tweeter unit you require, so long as you tell them the model of your eurosys speakers.

I´d have thought, while going back to the manufacturer is always a good idea, they´re probably gonna be more expensive too.

Si

thanks guys, but where should I be looking for the fuse/lightbulb ? presumably in the bass units 'cos I've now taken the top speakers apart and there's nothing in there except the driver and the horn. I've borrowed another set of tops this morning, connected them up and everything is back to normal. Does this indicate that everything is fine except for the tops ?

What - no crossover?

Peavey are strange units, I have 4 hisys 2's and have had various problems especially with the control board positioned directly behind the driver. Having read your first post, it seems unusual to have both driver and horn go at the same time.(I've tried!). Is there definitely no sound in either? If not there is a small silver transistor/resistor whatever on the board that I have known either come loose or blow. Although not a major job it needed to be ordered from Peavey. Best advice, rather than possibly missing a gig, renting or at worst trying to repair and breaking more, look who is your local Peacey agent and ask them to take a look. :unsure:

What - no crossover?

If they´re anything like my really old Peavey Eurosys 1M stage monitors, which have a 12" + piezo horn, they don´t require a crossover, because piezo horns don´t work that way.

thanks for all your help guys - it's appreciated. sorry for delayed reply, been away "on tour" for 5 days. they're Eurosys 2 models, and I've been in touch with Peavey who told me to stop looking for the crossover 'cos there isn't one ! just the driver and horn, nothing else. a post by Mr Si suggesting www.allangordon.co.uk sounded good as a quick look at their site confirmed they were only 20 miles away. really helpful guy on the phone and I dropped the units off this afternoon. after a quick check to confirm they were dead (that would have been embarrasing if they'd have burst into life) they will let me know by monday the full diagnosis. if replacement drivers/horns are needed (which I expect) I was quoted around £ 30 each for the drivers and £ 15 for the horns. that sounds reasonable. these units are used and abused by bands at least twice a week and this is the first problem I've had. will just have to keep them out of the hands of dj's in future. thanks again for all your expertise

may I also suggest installing a limiter into the signal chain, between the mixer and the amplifiers.

Set it so that it is not gonna allow people driving the amps so hard that they distort and blow bits of speaker.

Then put some sort of thing over it to cover up the controls so that no one can fiddle.

Archived