Sunstrips doing weird stuff

Charlotte_R

Hi all,

I hope that someone can help with this.

Part of my rig for a theatre show is 5 sunstrip actives, but whenever they're plugged into the desk (ETC Gio @5) they do a weird flashy thing. They all flash in sync up to about 30%.

So far, we've tried unpatching and repatching the desk (my next step is to patch in as 50 individual dimmers as they're in 10 channel mode), ensuring that they're in 10 channel DMX mode without any chase in the settings and adding a terminator; but none of this is working.

The manual seems to suggest that this could be caused by a phase reversed cable - is this likely? If so, I will replace all of the cables.

Can anyone suggest anything to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Charlotte

Take one of the fixtures to the console and plug it in directly to the console using a short cable that you know is good. That would eliminate any DMX wiring problems.

Patching as a load of dimmers is a good idea to eliminate any patching weirdness.

Are any other fixtures on the same physical line? I have seen examples where Sunstrips would affect other fixtures on the same line. I'm not sure why this happens but I guess it's conceivable that there could be a similar problem where other fixtures affect the Sunstrips. Connecting directly to console should help determine this.

One "School-boy error" with these fixtures, is that its easy to accidentally be selecting a built in program mode, when you think your setting the address.

It is detailed on the back of the unit. Something like Axxx and Dxxx which could be read as "Address" and "DMX" but one is selecting DMX mode, the other is selecting programme mode.

However, that being said - whenever I have seen the above happen, they normally spit random DMX out, so you would notice strange behaviour down stream - worth checking though.

It seems the ETC consoles are always “causing issues” with having RDM turned on. I’m not sure if that’s just my perception as that’s what I see on Facebook groups and here; or if it’s a massive issue with other consoles too- but it is regularly the fix...

It's not really the console's problem though... Fixtures should handle it properly.

I think ETC may be the only console manufacturer sending RDM out continuously like this, so perhaps that is why their name comes up most often. Others just seem to send it as a one off when patching or changing parameters.

Archived