CPC / Pulse mic Sennheisier wiring

TomHoward

Afternoon all

I am replacing the 3.5mm locking connectors on some HSM-700 / Pulse / CPC headsets, these ones

https://cpc.farnell.com/MP34751

The wiring in the included documentation is as so:

IMG-0241.jpg

Sennheiser wiring that we all know and love:

image.png.9508fede3e5a253f942e117b18b20321.png

With the broken connector, in the original cable the tip is red (power), ring is yellow (signal) and ground is sleeve.

This seems to put the signal on the line input, not the mic input.

Is anyone rewiring these differently, or should it be rewired with both yellow & red to tip, and ring and sleeve shorted together to shield?

(I wired them initially with both Yellow & shield shorted to sleeve & ring and red to tip, as I was following my gut of red being signal, and yellow being ground along with shield. It works but breaks up.)

Turns out I was following a red herring.

The mic I was trying to repair had the 3.5mm socket ripped off, and a crackling break in the gooseneck, so having replaced the 3.5mm connector the strange fault was not related to my repair.

For the record it does seem to give more output when wired with yellow & shield to ground + ring and red to tip, as from the factory it seems to be wired not optimum for the Sennheiser packs.

For the record it does seem to give more output when wired with yellow & shield to ground + ring and red to tip, as from the factory it seems to be wired not optimum for the Sennheiser packs.

IIRC the output of a Sennheiser MKE-2 is much higher if wired one way than the other.

Archived