unhelpful implication of the GDPR

paulears

Anyone else noticed that the nominet system many used to check up on who a website actually is registered to has been silenced with the GDPR - everyone's data has been set to private - so the information returned from a search gives no information whatsoever. No name or address. .com addresses seem compromised too if registered in europe - my .co.uk and .com web addresses now return no identifiable data or even contact details for abuse apart from a third party forward in a few cases?

This actually helps the scammers. Fake web sites now are so tricky to track down.

Thats a 6 of one half dozen of the other argument though.

Spam levels are dropping pretty well as a knock on effect, and dont forget, you could always buy domain privacy, and also "secure" domains, that were truly anonymising.

That is interesting. I was always annoyed that there was no facility (free or otherwise) to hide my info on ICANN. I ditched the .com in the end as the spam was too much.

I wonder if all the folks who are paying to hide their contact details will get a refund now that it is occurring 'naturally'.

Archived