Molefay Cable

simonplights

Hello,

I need to rewire a batch of our 2 Lite moles, and I've been trying to ascertain the correct cable for them.

I've always believed H07RN-F isn't OK on grounds of temperature. Every lighting company I've worked at has used silicone cable, type code of which I'm not 100% sure - there's always just been a big reel of it! I recently approached a standard UK entertainment cable supplier and asked them for 'high temperature silicone cable, suitable for Molefays'. The cable they sent me looks and feels identical to that which I've used at other companies, however the outer sheath has broken down and split worryingly quickly.

Also, on reading BS7909 recently, I noticed a reference to BS4533-102.17 - the standard for entertainment lighting fixtures. I approached our usual bulk industrial cable supplier, who can't suggest any cable model that is compliant with BS4533-102.17, and they have hundreds of different categories of cable for everything from entertainment through Aerospace to Def Stan. Looking on the BSI site at the index for that standard, it's not clear how much detail it contains on the specification of cable to be used, but before I have to spend £164 to see what's in the standard - can anyone else shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi, the last time I rewired a set of molefays I used High temp silicone flex chopped off an old par can. Then inside used fiberglass sleeving on the L-N-E cores and then used oven single core cable to wire between the lamps them selves. As for purchasing a roll I've no idea and I need some more before I sacrifice anither parcan to the lighting gods!

Cheers,

Sam

The code for the silicone cable is SIHF eg. http://www.batt.co.uk/products/view/379/Multicore-Silicone-SIHF-180degC

It's always less resistant to mechanical damage than H07, hence the outer going quickly, but I don't find that it's usually too much of a problem if properly glanded etc - does make it very easy to strip! We wire our entire lantern stock with it.

The code for the silicone cable is SIHF eg. http://www.batt.co.u...ne-SIHF-180degC

It's always less resistant to mechanical damage than H07, hence the outer going quickly, but I don't find that it's usually too much of a problem if properly glanded etc - does make it very easy to strip! We wire our entire lantern stock with it.

Thank you! That looks like the stuff. All of our moles have the correct gland with the rubber insert - I reckon I had probably acquired a cheap/poor version of it (wasn't branded or anything) - but looks like branded SIHF from a good supplier is the way to go.

Cheers

Simon

I just order it as Silicone rubber lantern cable, but I suspect the mechanical qualities vary between manufacturers. The old black ex-Parcan stuff is nearly as tough as H07, but a tear in the newer grey stuff will run quite easily. It's robust enough in normal use, but to strip the sheath off you just have to give one conductor a sideways yank, & it peels like a banana. For Parcans (the only lanterns I ever need to rewire) I always add a short length of high temperature outer sleeving as protection where it goes through the gland.

There is a lower grade of silicone cable available d0me5ti that is for immersion heaters. Easily available from B& all other stores BUT only rated to about 70C. Best avoided!

It's very appropriate to use a glass fibre woven sleeve as well as silicone cable.

Thanks both

There is a lower grade of silicone cable available d0me5ti that is for immersion heaters. Easily available from B& all other stores BUT only rated to about 70C. Best avoided!

It's very appropriate to use a glass fibre woven sleeve as well as silicone cable.

Yes, I've always used the woven sleeve regardless of what cable is used.

Also worth noting that if you're crimping inside a lantern to attach the plug tail going through the gland to the tails from the lampbase then the crimp will need some protection - again, the sleeving is the best bet I think.

Archived