speakon feedthrough

S&L

I'm doing a refit of one of my amp racks. they all have feed through connectors (bolt and connect) rather than soldered - I prefer this for adjustments, re-configuration etc. I already have some speakon feedthroughs fitted but I can't for the life of me locate my original order for them - OR find someone in the uk/europe that sells speakon (Or speakon 'style') feedthroughs- and I need another couple of them. I can find USA specific (not for export) sellers, but nothing closer. Any one know a source?

thanks for the input so far folk.

the ones I have aren't neutrik - so far as I know, despite making xlr feed throughs, they have never made a speakon feedthrough.

the ones I have installed are probably procraft, who I can find online selling in the usa but not exporting to the uk. but I know I bought them somewhere within the uk in the past - I just don't remember where!

I'm tempted to try cedd's suggestion if I can't get a better result (I had already thought of this) but I would prefer the proper animal, if I can locate them!

Cedd's solution seems a fair one and one I might use myself in future. In the past I've just used a standard chassis mount speakon with a lead soldered to it and tethered to stop it pulling off. The lead is just long enough to reach the back of the rack for easy attachment and has a female speakon connector.

Slightly cheaper option from Amphenol? £5.74/piece.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/amphenol_sp4f4fdw.htm?ref=search_rslt_speakon_358564_8

That is the 4-pole version. There is a 2-pole version a few pence cheaper.

It looks like the SpeakONs are screwed to the case, but whether the internal connections are flex or solid I don't know.

The Neutrik equivalent looks like £15/piece.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/amphenol_sp4f4fdw.htm?ref=search_rslt_speakon_358564_8

It looks like the SpeakONs are screwed to the case, but whether the internal connections are flex or solid I don't know.

Please don't buy knock-off products. Amphenol's R&D on this surely involved just buying a Neutrik product and copying it

Please don't buy knock-off products. Amphenol's R&D on this surely involved just buying a Neutrik product and copying it

At least Amphenol are an actual connector manufacturer, rather than a counterfeiter.

seperate discussion to be had somewhere about what constitute a 'knock off'

this is the item I already have fitted and they have been in one of my racks for 3 years without issue. so certainly fit for (my) purpose.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProCraft-SVP563MM-SQ1-Rear-Mount-Locking-Speakon-Style-Feed-Pass-Through-Adapter-/231640698648

I'm disinclined to say if it's not neutrik it's knock off. in the current climate we all have to be our own arbitors of what is good or poor quality but neitrik 'knock off' their own gear, making it under the 'rean' brand.. and I have cheap cpc 'pulse' cables with connectors that have lasted 7 or 8 years in bars and on theatre stages, so perfectly fit for purpose (my purpose at least). This is a bug bear for me...in other branches of engineering, engineers who will only use top brand products are frowned on for unnecessary over specification. But somehow in the world of sound and light good engineering sense is often thrown over for brand snobbery...neutrik are undoubtably decent and there isn't any point compromising a show by using poor components but there is a difference between poor quality and satisfactory for the job at hand.

The point here is somewhat missed though neutrik make xlr feedthroughs so they obviously consider that need for a feedthrough is neccessary - but they don't make a speakon feedthrough, save for using cedd's solution, which is probably where I will end up if I can't get hold of reasonably priced feedthroughs elsewhere.

Couldn't agree more! I do a lot of install work in churches where the connectors are plugged in once and left alone, so don't need to be able to survive thousands of pluggings and unpluggings. So I buy connectors that are £1 or £1.50 rather than the £4 or £5 that Neutrik are. As S&L said, perfectly fit for purpose - brand snobbery annoys me too!

Couldn't agree more! I do a lot of install work in churches where the connectors are plugged in once and left alone, so don't need to be able to survive thousands of pluggings and unpluggings. So I buy connectors that are £1 or £1.50 rather than the £4 or £5 that Neutrik are. As S&L said, perfectly fit for purpose - brand snobbery annoys me too!

That said I go to quite a few church installs where said £1 connectors are used and have to tidy up the mess when they fall to bits or get stuck.

If it's a plug and leave, why not save the £1 and hard wire?

Granted you get good budget options and rubbish ones, there's no brand snobbery here but one of my pet hates are connectors which fall to bits.

Archived