scenes.

RedDog

Are there any lighting controllers that allow 'on the fly' scene recording?

scenario... create scene, in use make a couple of tweaks want to be able to save directly, not have to remember look and go into programming and start again.

... most lighting desks allow that... Unless I am not understanding your needs?

For example, on an MA you can either hit "update" to update an existing scene with whatever changes you have made in the programmer. Alternatively you can "touch" all the fixtures and parameters that you want saved in the scene and store it or there is a store option to basically store the exact state of all fixtures...

that would be expected,but we only have a low end controller ( QTX DM-X512 ) with no update function.looking to upgrade to one that has these features, but costs very little. we're a small unfunded community theatre.

... most lighting desks allow that... Unless I am not understanding your needs?

For example, on an MA you can either hit "update" to update an existing scene with whatever changes you have made in the programmer. Alternatively you can "touch" all the fixtures and parameters that you want saved in the scene and store it or there is a store option to basically store the exact state of all fixtures...

Would a PC-based controller be suitable for you or do you need to have physical faders to push?

Something like MagicQ (£70 for full dongle) or Avolites Titan One (about £150) are industry standard lighting control systems which you can run on a laptop and allow instant scene recording, plus theatre-style cue stacks.

You don't say what size lighting system you have, but if it's just dimmers under 24ch the venerable Behringer LC2412 works like that, it's a bit horrible to use but at that price you can't complain.

In that case, what would really help provide the best answers:

• Budget - remembering that your "Low as possible" is different from others "Low as possible" - so an actual figure would help.
  • Number of fixtures/dimmers/universes
  • Level of technical skill in your organisation - will it just be one or two people operating it, or does every man and his dog need to be able to use it?
  • Are you willing to have a PC based control system instead of a console?
  • How many submasters do you need/want?
  • What sort of events - purely theatrical? bands/live music? A bit of everything? Variety acts?

Ok,under £150.00

using LEDs Got 12 at the moment, setting each one on seperate fixture so as to be controlled independently.

technical skill, low.

submasters required ?

events... all sorts.

the little qtx we use is ok for our needs... something similar that would enable to modify a scene memory without having to go through the whole reset everything

procedure would be ideal.

thanks for input.

In that case, what would really help provide the best answers:

• Budget - remembering that your "Low as possible" is different from others "Low as possible" - so an actual figure would help.
  • Number of fixtures/dimmers/universes
  • Level of technical skill in your organisation - will it just be one or two people operating it, or does every man and his dog need to be able to use it?
  • Are you willing to have a PC based control system instead of a console?
  • How many submasters do you need/want?
  • What sort of events - purely theatrical? bands/live music? A bit of everything? Variety acts?

yeah,

that's what I thought, they're all much of a muchness.surely it's not a major thing to add a 'modify' button?

I have a zero 88 alcora, which is used for some of the lighting, but that doesn't run the LEDs the same way as the QTX does. or at least, I can't figure out how to get it to mimic the qtx.

tried qlc+ for mac, but that's too messy to configure.

As far as I know, everything under £150 works like the controller you already have. They are all copies of each other.

Using some sort of laptop based solution as described above is your only alternative at that price.

surely it's not a major thing to add a 'modify' button?

Sure, just glue one on wherever you fancy. Doesn't need any hardware or software development or anything behind it. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

Well honestly...

yeah, whatever bloke.you know what I meant.

surely it's not a major thing to add a 'modify' button?

Sure, just glue one on wherever you fancy. Doesn't need any hardware or software development or anything behind it. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

Well honestly...

Archived