Comms wiring for hearing Aids

Paul-zoom-motion

Hi Folks

This maybe a bit of a strange question so I will explain why I need to ask. I have just been provided with the lasted digital Bone Anchored Hearing Aids (BAHA) which will include what the company call a “Streamer” which is a device that will feed sound to the BAHA Via Bluetooth technology. The Streamer also provides telecoil options. This means I can use this device with an iPhone.

So now for my question: I would like to be able to use comms again in the theatres, something I have being have problems with for some years now. My line of thought is to make a ‘breakout lead’ which I plug into the belt pack using a XLR-4 pin female, sending the incoming audio to the Streamer (instead of the headphones or it could be as well the headphones) while still using the headset mic. The Streamer has the same mini jack as an iPhone. What I need to know is what are the XLR 1234 pins used for audio and mic, What type of cable would I need to use? Or is it the case I can take the incoming audio from one of the the 3 pin XLR sockets on the Beltpack?

Some of you might see problems with this if so please say because I’m taking a very simplistic

view on this as I’m no electronic expert.

Just for a bit of practical information on how I would use this set-up; I can still use headsets over my ears as the Hearing Aids are attached via surgically implanted titanium studs behind the ears both sides leaving ears clear to use headsets (just) its just the case that my ears don’t work anymore.

I hope you understand my predicament and thank you for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Paul

...so you'd need to wire across pins 3 and 4 on the headset connector. Any old cable should do, bell wire, anything, although I'd pick something with multi stranded cores for flexibility.

I would advise you keep the headphones connected as well to give the output amp a load, otherwise it might do weird stuff. So make a 4 pin male to 4 pin female lead that links all cores through, then tag your device off pins 3 and 4.

I would take the out of the pack with your own 4pin adapter and inside have 2 cables one going to to another 4pin to run the mic and the other to your own f3mm jack.

I would can then make up your own 3mm extension as well I find 3mm lines die kinda often unless very good cables, but I imagine your own cable would be good to have for devices. Good quality 3core XLR would be fine IMHO.

As for making it up I would see if someone can make it up unless you are super good at soldering, I can't imagine interference on bone conduction can be great.

Would be interesting to see how well it works for cans, they are not always the most clear devices to use (venue, style and age dependent) my girlfriend is working on a paper that is looking at how people think they and other people sound hearing devices. The BAHA stuff is pretty stunning, I understand you can do all kinda of crazy stuff with it.

Good luck

Oh I would check that your device is ok with what is being sent you wont want to accidentally be sending lots of current and killing your box.

To be honest this sounds like the sort of project to throw back to the manufacturer of the coms system. Aside from knowing exactly how the system will behave it's the sort of interesting project they'd get PR value out of by creating the first proper DDA compliant system and so you'd probably end up with exactly the right widget, designed by experts for free?

Something like a mini desk? Where would you suggest the guy hides it? We are talking a comms beltpack here- a mobile device, as it were. Perhaps he could put some straps on a small desk and wear it as a backpack? The volume control on the comm pack should still allow him to turn it down if required.

IIR the device IS the desk, OP feel free to correct me but with bluetooth link you can set pick up for situations (in the car, restaurant, on the street talking to people) and adjust how loud you hear things, some things you can change others less so.

Is the Telecoil the same as the induction loop T-coil? If so you simply need to remove the headset ear pad and insert a coil and replace. Should be as good as being able to use the earphone, UNLESS the venue has an induction loop system for the hard of hearing in the auditorium.

Otherwise the brains behind the Bluecoms system on here may have good ideas.

Its great you guys are giving me different things to consider. I will try and fill you in with a bit more detail in response to some of your ideas. THE KID you are thinking on the same lines as me with a lead I can just plug in-line the the headset, I’m just not sure if it would work but I’m looking into it.

ImagineerTom I would love a manufacture to solve this problem but it would be highly unlikely that they would from a cost point of view. I am in touch with the manufactures of the BAHA who are very interested to see the outcome of this. I would also consult with them before I plug anything into the Streamer.

Electrolytic I fully understand where you are coming from but the Streamer is doing the job you are thinking of.

Jivemaster Telecoil and loop T-coil is the same thing but of no use in this case as most theatres use a loop system for general customer use.

I was fitted with the new design Bone Anchored Hearing Aid only last wednesday and only learnt about the Streamer when fitted, this Streamer is a new product to which I have not had delivered yet (on its way). But what I do know is that it is designed to plug-in audio devices such as phones, Computers, mp3 players etc. so I guess its a standard line-in type of signal.

The Streamer can be paired with bluetooth products so if a bluetooth belt pack existed then maybe thats the answer, would anybody know of such a product?

I don't know which make of comms system you're using but "back in the day" Camford Audio / Techpro's single biggest selling point was that they could make just about anything and even now I regularly come across "custom" boxes they created for unusual venues and situations. It wouldn't hurt to give them or whoever your com's system manufacturer is a call as they will have all the stuff (and all the expertise) needed to knock out a relatively simple interface already in place. Don't underestimate the PR value of what you're asking for; a "unique" project like this is exactly the sort of thing that fills a newsletter / gets a write up in a trade magazine, wins an award and then results in some extra sales for them as other venues realise there's something they can plug in to their existing kit which instantly enables them to comply with lots of legislation they're currently breaking.

I don't know which make of comms system you're using but "back in the day" Camford Audio / Techpro's single biggest selling point was that they could make just about anything and even now I regularly come across "custom" boxes they created for unusual venues and situations. It wouldn't hurt to give them or whoever your com's system manufacturer is a call as they will have all the stuff (and all the expertise) needed to knock out a relatively simple interface already in place. Don't underestimate the PR value of what you're asking for; a "unique" project like this is exactly the sort of thing that fills a newsletter / gets a write up in a trade magazine, wins an award and then results in some extra sales for them as other venues realise there's something they can plug in to their existing kit which instantly enables them to comply with lots of legislation they're currently breaking.

It's not a case of one manufacture as I don't use my own, I'm a freelance A/V operator so use the theatre comms of whatever make that maybe used in the venue that I'm working at.

It's not a case of one manufacture as I don't use my own, I'm a freelance A/V operator so use the theatre comms of whatever make that maybe used in the venue that I'm working at.

All the common types of comms systems are compatible with each other though, so if you had a special beltpack made by Clearcom or Canford/Tecpro you could bring it with you and plug it in to the venue comms.

However a straight through 4 pin lead in the headset cable with a breakout for the headphones feed should work fine and do exactly what you want.

All the common types of comms systems are compatible with each other though, so if you had a special beltpack made by Clearcom or Canford/Tecpro you could bring it with you and plug it in to the venue comms.

This is only true if by "common types of comms systems" you mean Clear Com or Canford/Tecpro. There are several common comms systems that are not Clear Com compatible, the most notable being RTS, probably the most common system used in television production. Also Telex AudioCom, and several digital system from Clear Com, Riedel, Green Go, and others.

It is true that the pin out of the XLR out for the headphone is generally pin 1 mic screen, pin 2 mic hot, pin 3 earpiece cold, pin 4 earpiece hot. RTS might be either male or female XLR, and might be 5 pin XLR for binaural headsets. Telex BTR wireless headsets often follow the RTS standards, but are available either way.

A properly wired 4 pin XLR with a 4 pin turnaround will cover almost all cases.

Mac

Well, yes, but surely clear com compatible would br the most common in the UK rather than the USA? ;)

the newer clear com packs have a 2.5mm jack designed for a cellphone type headset. Perhaps a simple adaptor cable could work? I know ebay has 2.5mm plug to dual 3.5sockets to allow different headsets to be connected?

Archived