Dimming a non dim flourescent

groggy

As the title suggests I want to create a flickering light effect by dimming some flourescent tubes, I've seen this done many times before but never done it myself. Is there anything I should watch out for? We are going to be buying the fittings and I dont want to get the wrong type. Is it just a case of running it through a dimmer. I think I heard that the bulb will be ok with not having the correct voltage just the starter may get damaged over time, so I will make sure I have some spares.

Thanks

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

If a fake fire effect, then as others suggest, suitably coloured incandescent lamps wired in series with fluorescent starters works well.

If a flickering fluorescent lamp is specificly desired, then I would consider a standard switch start fluorescent lamp circuit but with an incorrect starter fitted. For a 4 foot or longer lamp use a starter intended for twin series 2 foot lamps. Note that for either effect that a traditional starter often called a glow starter is needed. The more modern electronic starters wont work.

If you are after spooky:

I achieved the flicker-effect a few years back by using modern electronic starters, dimmerpacks configured as switchpacks and running flicker-fx and a random chase from chamsys,with some gel-tubes over the TL's.

The electronic starters make it possible to start the TL's immediately. It really looked Unreal ;)

I bought them from Eurolite, and I believe they were about 13 euros a piece, complete with TL.

Yes I want the effect of the fluorescents flickering, It's not trying to recreate fire or a flicker bulb. But thanks for the replys.

I had thought of running them through a random chase effect. Thanks for the advice about the Glow starters its definately worth experimenting with. I think what I want is the effect of the bulb failing to ignite properly. The idea is that they could represent either flash photography or explosions. A strobe would create a much more realsitic effect but that's not what I'm going for.

Archived