MSD 250 lamp replacement

Alec97

yes - a good friend of mine thought these would be a good idea a couple of years ago, and re-lamped 12 of his Mac300's with them. Within 1 week, several had burst, filling the fixtures with small pieces of hot glass which obviously then required a full strip down and service.

Its not the £27 I would be worried about, more the potential damage to your equipment.

Stick with a reputable brand such as Philips / GE / Osram.

I use the soundlab/fx lab equivalent lamps in my Mac 250s and 300s. Very close equivalent to Philips and only about £35 each. I wouldn't touch prolight accessories with a barge pole based on my previous experience.

Hi

IIRC it was something to do with the amount of heat they generated, they would overstress the cooling system and the lamp itself.

What I can remember is a once saw a spate of Mac250s / Kryptons and Entours that had all been fitted with Sylvanias and had suffered from explosion damage.

All the best

Timmeh

Might give it a go and see how they are after all it's only £27 wasted if it's trash.

I wouldn't say it is that simple! The potential loss is far greater than a case of "oh, whoops, get what you pay for". Lamps malfunctioning can create problems.

Even with the genuine lamps... I had some Platinum 5Rs (proper Philips ones) which, within their lifespan, went pop. Upon going pop, both of them

(a) were loud enough to be heard from FOH (showing you the kind of energy being released)

(b) sent the filament part of the lamp into the lens assembly pretty hard

© sent hundreds more shards of glass all over the fixture, which I cleaned out mostly but still find bits

(d) killed the igniter in the fixture which needed replacing

As I said this was a proper genuine Philips lamp (and I have spoken to Philips about it) but the point is the same that a lamp can do a lot of damage if it malfunctioned so if you care about keeping your fixtures in good running order my advice would definitely echo others in buying into a brand that you know and trust.

Interestingly, I too have had 3 philips 5R lamps go pop too within the last 12 months, all well within their rated lifespan.Luckily, the only permanent fixture damage has been the heat filter immediately in front of the lamp, my ignitors and PSU's have all survived. All fixtures used on good stiff power feeds, with clean and fully operational fans.

Hi

I recently made a thread about worsening performance with Phillips MSR700SA that I use in my VL2000s, seems like the two might be related. I think I'm right in saying that their discharge lamps used to be made in France, now they're made in China, so go figure.

All the best

Timmeh

Archived