BBC Sound effects

boswell

Thanks for that - could be useful. I've got CDs 1 - 75, thanks to Canford selling off their stock over several trade shows a few years ago, but I still need to go back to the 12" LPs for quite a few effects.

A lot of the higher number CDs were just copied from the stereo EPs by a lady with a record-player, a Studer tape-deck & a razor-blade, as a labour of love - no budget available for anything like Sadie. I presume the tens of thousands of effects on the mono discs were lost forever when they all ended up in skips. This was the time when it was cheaper to send someone up to Tower Records with a tenner than to get a record out of the Gram Library.

I have pretty much a full set of the 7" vinyl disks (mono and stereo). No idea how many, but we're talking thousands. It's at least half a dozen large cardboard boxes. Was planning to sell them as a batch (for charity) but could be persuaded to donate them to a good cause.

At one time my local am-dram would have bitten your hand off for them, but the modern generation of "SDs" seem to expect to download everything, however naff.

Copying them all to mp3 files could make a nice project to while away your long winter evenings :)

Just remember the downloads are under a fairly restrictive “personal, educational or research purposes” license - so unless you can re-license, they aren't a go-er for either public live performance or distributed audio. Would be a great resource for "pure" teaching but a shame not be able to share the results.

I always used to find it quite funny that sound effects CDs were often labelled with the personal, education and research statement when nobody in sound mind would want a CD not sound effects for personal purposes, but all the theatre groups would!

I wonder why they didn't just zip them up - one at a time downloads is a project for the dark winter period.

Started downloading some of the tracks but it only download the .wav file such as 07064088.wav but no description.

Going to be a long job downloading and giving each track a description.

Unless this is a way of downloading the description as well as the .wav file.

Cheers

Gerry

I always used to find it quite funny that sound effects CDs were often labelled with the personal, education and research statement when nobody in sound mind would want a CD not sound effects for personal purposes, but all the theatre groups would!

My assumption was that it was so you could be got to pay money for them subsequently - but they don't seem to be making that easy enough that anyone will (e.g. a link next to each one to add it to a "basket" you could license, or even just an ISRC for you to write on your PRS return). Others have already commented on the BBC financial decision making ...

Started downloading some of the tracks but it only download the .wav file such as 07064088.wav but no description.

Going to be a long job downloading and giving each track a description.

Unless this is a way of downloading the description as well as the .wav file.

Cheers

Gerry

I tried copying the description & pasting it into "save as". Interestingly this bypassed the "agree to T&C" stage.

My local reference library in Southampton use to have a collection of about 25 BBC SFX CD's on the shelves.

The staff were quite happy to let you rip them to a laptop FOC.

It might be worth investigating your own library.

Archived