Wireless DMX Frequency

Caerdydd

Morning,

I've just brought some Wireless Solutions Transceivers. They can operate at 2.4GHz, 5.2 GHz and 5.8GHz.

By standard they only run at 2.4GHz, unless you spend another £80 on a dongle to be able to use the software to program the units.

5GHz can't be turned on by default due to some licensing issues as they are sold in multiple countries I'm told.

Is there any advantage to using the 5.2 GHz or 5.8 GHz bands? Is it worth me spending the money?

The last time I used it in a studio they overpowered all of the wireless networks in the building and they stopped functioning.... Wireless DMX Was great though!

Cheers,

Steve

The only advantage of 5Ghz is it gets you away from the congestion of everyone's wifi. (and stops you stomping on it)

The disadvantage is that it does not penetrate as well as 2.4GHz so you may get less operational distance, compared to uncongested 2.4GHz. But if the 2.4Ghz is really bad you might do better at 5, even considering the reduced range.

Archived