cheap led par cans?

mickeylaa

Two or three years ago I got a batch of fixtures which were a different brand but looked identical to those Showtecs. They give out very little light and some of them caused problems with other lamps on the same DMX chain. The connectors were poor and a couple have a DMX lead permanently stuck in because the latch has broken. They're relegated to being used for lighting Santa's Grotto once a year in standalone mode. I look on the purchase as part of the learning experience.

As david.elsbury suggests get better lights. I've found these to be relatively cheap and reliable with a decent output, and they're silent. You're just asking for trouble with the really cheap cans.

If you want advice then I'd say that if you can't afford something a bit better then save up till you can.

BUT I have not been using a DMX terminator that could be the problem.

No that will not be the problem. Most of the time you don't need a DMX terminator, DMX termination problems show up as weird flickering and flashing effects on one or more of the fixtures.

Most likely the units are in the wrong mode or set to the wrong address or have an internal wiring problem...

any recommendations on lights

As Paul pointed out yesterday on another topic you started, when you post on the BR forum asking for recommendations, you need to be quite specific about what you want to achieve in order to get useful and meaningful answers. Otherwise we have no idea of your environment, production, expectations, etc...

"Any recommendations on lights" is about as vague as it gets. However for good measure I'll start by recommending the twin 36w CAT2 louvre fixtures we installed a few years ago. They are bright, efficient, have long lamp life, even light dispertion with virtually no shadowing and are far superior to what we worked with previously.

What sort of effect are you after? Eye candy? Stage wash? Spots? Something else?

Are you only interested in LED? Or would you look at tungsten or discharge lamps too?

What sort of lanterns? PAR cans only? Or would you also consider Fresnels? Profiles? Movers (wash/beam/spot/effect etc)? Battens? Or something else entirely?

Lot's of questions and others will be able to think of plenty more.

Could I also add my warnings over cheap par can's. I bought some of the Showtec ones on Ebay at about £60 for 4 of them. After one use one unit already had dying red LEDs and soon after the blue ones began to follow. Combine that to the abysmal light output and the sheer size of them for the light output and they really are not worth the money.

While not a par can the Stairville LED Bar 240/8 RGB bars are quite good for only £55 and might suit your needs. Though as others have said this is a theatre forum, you might find better info elsewhere considering theatrical lighting equipment can't usually be classed as cheap.;)

Archived