Show Computer & The Internet

Peter F

A good reminder why your show laptop shouldn't be connected to the internet.

My link

More precisely, it's a lesson in turning off automatic updates, but as that has become a never ending battle, just keeping the show machine off the internet is a sensible option.

As mentioned in the comments, it is most likely to be an update that had been installed previously but because no-one has shut down the computer properly the install has never quite finished installing.

Cheers,

Peter

There was a famous incident in the Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh, where the resident sound tech was an early proponent of running sound fx off his laptop (this was quite a few years ago, before the advent of Q-LAB and similar tools.) During a particularly undemanding show, he logged onto the theatre's wi-fi to check his email. A mate had sent him a mail about his recent holiday on safari to South Africa, and included some attached pictures. He opened the attachments. To discover that they weren't in fact pictures. They were movie clips. And the one he picked was of elephants. Whose trumpeting was duly amplified throughout the theatre. In the middle of 'A Streetcar Named Desire.'

Also that some things actually don't need a computer.

Indeed!

A lot of what I do involves big screens and providing content to them. Part of a standard package will include some emergency or public information type slides. On several occasions I have been asked by the client to provide a "We are sorry the screen is not working" slide. To this day I do not know how this is going to work.

Cheers,

Peter

Also that some things actually don't need a computer.

Also in people mind computer means : "multipurpose laptop-like piece of electronic that I can check Facebook on". But actually a computer can be dedicated to a single task and do it very well. Even general purpose PC can be re-puposed to a single task :) (and insert here some Raspberry-Pi and linux comments ;) ).

Archived