SX300 DH3 Horn Question

warrenstuart

Hi All

Does anyone know if a genuine diaphram from a DH3 horn has any markings on it?

I have an SX300 of which the horn is dull, the crossover checks out ok and the horn coil reads just over 4 ohms DC resistance check, never measured one before so not sure if this is correct?

When I dismantled the horn there are no markings whatsoever on the diaphram and I would of thought EV would of been stamped on it somewhere but having never dismantled one before I don't know if this is correct hence the question?

Thanks

Warren.

Hi All

Does anyone know if a genuine diaphram from a DH3 horn has any markings on it?

I have an SX300 of which the horn is dull, the crossover checks out ok and the horn coil reads just over 4 ohms DC resistance check, never measured one before so not sure if this is correct?

When I dismantled the horn there are no markings whatsoever on the diaphram and I would of thought EV would of been stamped on it somewhere but having never dismantled one before I don't know if this is correct hence the question?

Thanks

Warren.

I haven't taken one of these particular horns apart but it's uncommon for diaphragms to be marked with anything other than model number and maybe serial number and it's probably an oem component not from an ev factory (happy to be corrected). getting a resistance measurement doesn't mean much apart from that it should be functional in some shape. most worn diaphragms that I have replaced - open circuit or otherwise have discoloured copper windings, a pristine diaphragm will have copper windings that appear bright and brassy. a used one will be tarnished but one on the way out or failed with usually have a much deeper red-brown colour. in my experience, your ear is your best judge - if it's working but dull it's about to die - which is easier to spot than if its gone and then it maybe a crossover issue - but much more likely to be a diaphragm and £22 on ebay will get you the replacement. I would pick one up, fit it and see.

Thanks for the reply.

This diaphragm has no markings on it whatsoever which makes me think it's a £20 eBay jobbie whereas an EV one is £50.

Gonna bite the bullet next week and order an EV one as I'm fairly certain the crossover is ok.

Warren

let us know how you get on - and whether you can hear the difference! I'm curious...

Archived