what amps do I need for this speaker config?!?

oddbird

Hey, I would like to know what kind of amplifiers would I need to power the following configuration of speakers!

CASE 1:

6 x tops (3 on each ch)

LF: 2 x 12" 1000w 8 ohms

MF: 4 x 6" 800w 8 ohms

HF: 2 x 2" 200w 8 ohms

3 x dual 18" subs (1000 w 8 ohms each driver)

CASE 2:

same as case 1 but with 4 x tops (2 on each row) and 2 x dual 18" subs

I understand I need to bi-amp the system so please let me know what kind of amps I would need for both the tops and the subs in each case, I am looking for general amp specification that would match this speaker config but make and model would also be helpful.

If you're going down the bi/multi amplifier route then you're going to need either.....

An active crossover or loudspeaker management unit upstream of the amps to split the signal.

OR

Amplifiers with selectable filters, etc. on board that you can set to do the same job

Hey, I would like to know what kind of amplifiers would I need to power the following configuration of speakers!

This question is impossible to answer and any answer your are given will be wrong (except this one).

The reason is that the power rating of individual drivers is meaningless. To work out what any system will take and/or need (the two things are very different) you will need to know the T.S. parameters of the drivers along with a lot of info about the boxes they are going in.

Archived