IMG Stageline 254 (iMove 250) problem

penguinpaul

Hi all, I'm new to the forum - and fairly new to lighting in general. I'm usually an audio guy, but I've recently bought a moving head.

Now it appears to have a problem with it! It powers up, and moves it's head to point downwards. It then just displays '1250' on the led display. None of the buttons seem to do anything, and none of the LEDs are lit (I understand that it should be in master mode when there's no DMX control attached).

I can't see in the manual what 1250 could mean.

I may be able to borrow a DMX controller, but without the menu I can't get to the test mode or select the DMX channel, so I'm not sure it'll help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

- Paul

Hi all, I'm new to the forum - and fairly new to lighting in general. I'm usually an audio guy, but I've recently bought a moving head.

Now it appears to have a problem with it! It powers up, and moves it's head to point downwards. It then just displays '1250' on the led display. None of the buttons seem to do anything, and none of the LEDs are lit (I understand that it should be in master mode when there's no DMX control attached).

I can't see in the manual what 1250 could mean.

I may be able to borrow a DMX controller, but without the menu I can't get to the test mode or select the DMX channel, so I'm not sure it'll help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

- Paul

Hi Paul,

That sounds rather like a power on message (imove250 = I250) and it is getting hung up during its built-in self test. As to why it is getting hung up I wouldn't know but the sort of things to look for would be a limit switch which isn't getting tripped or a motor which isn't moving. Another area to look would be the controller - if there are any ICs on sockets then check that they are fully inserted and also check that all the connectors are securely on. Sorry - a bit vague but without a unit in front of me it's a bit difficult to be specific. If you are electronics savvy then you could start checking things like supply voltages. Usual caveat applies - if you are not absolutely sure what you're doing then don't - there will be mains around and, as the fixture uses a discharge lamp, there are some VERY high voltages present in the lamp circuit (thousands rather than hundreds of volts)

Dave

Hi Paul,

That sounds rather like a power on message (imove250 = I250) and it is getting hung up during its built-in self test. As to why it is getting hung up I wouldn't know but the sort of things to look for would be a limit switch which isn't getting tripped or a motor which isn't moving. Another area to look would be the controller - if there are any ICs on sockets then check that they are fully inserted and also check that all the connectors are securely on. Sorry - a bit vague but without a unit in front of me it's a bit difficult to be specific. If you are electronics savvy then you could start checking things like supply voltages. Usual caveat applies - if you are not absolutely sure what you're doing then don't - there will be mains around and, as the fixture uses a discharge lamp, there are some VERY high voltages present in the lamp circuit (thousands rather than hundreds of volts)

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been wondering if 1250 meant i250, but it is a StageLine Twist 254 branded one - I don't know whether or not they would have changed the message or not.

I haven't had it apart yet, but will do tonight. I'm happy/competent with electronics, although I'm very aware of the risks of discharge lamps. Hopefully the fault lies somewhere other than in the lamp electronics!

Would you expect the lamp to fire on startup, or not at this stage?

Thanks,

Paul

see manual below, p14 "Every time you turn the unit on it will show I250 on the display".

This is a fairly basic unit which does not have any limit sensing switches or motor feedback. Wonder if it may have a stuck down button on the display panel? This can cause display problems with other similar units. I would still expect it to work on DMX though.

https://prolight.co.uk/images//media/ISIM08/ISIM08-um0.pdf

see manual below, p14 "Every time you turn the unit on it will show I250 on the display".

This is a fairly basic unit which does not have any limit sensing switches or motor feedback. Wonder if it may have a stuck down button on the display panel? This can cause display problems with other similar units. I would still expect it to work on DMX though.

https://prolight.co..../ISIM08-um0.pdf

Aha! That explains that message then - I'm fairly certain the Stage Line version of the manual is much more cut down than the iMove one, so thanks for the link!

The buttons don't appear pressed down at all. I've checked all of the ribbon cables are seated properly, and all of the motors feel as they should. Nothing at the moment appears jammed or broken.

I've picked up a fairly cheap second hand DMX controller online, so I've just got to wait now.

Thanks,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got to try the moving head with a DMX controller, but no luck. The DMX led didn't light on the light.

I also noticed that if you press two buttons on the light, the screen momentarily changes. It goes from i250 to something like 0250 when you press the left and right, and iXX0 when you press the up and down together. Ie, outside digits and inside digits change.

It's a shame there isn't more info about these lights available, I'd really like to be able to get it going!

The manual says on page 19 that the unit responds to sound to light if there is no DMX present, have you tried using the sound mode on page 10, or the test mode on page 12 ? If these work and the DMX mode does not, check the DMX cabling internally and if possible change the DMX driver, the 75176 8 pin integrated circuit.

Have you confirmed that your desk is outputting DMX by using it on something else ?

The manual says on page 19 that the unit responds to sound to light if there is no DMX present, have you tried using the sound mode on page 10, or the test mode on page 12 ? If these work and the DMX mode does not, check the DMX cabling internally and if possible change the DMX driver, the 75176 8 pin integrated circuit.

Have you confirmed that your desk is outputting DMX by using it on something else ?

Thanks for the suggestions, I have gone as far as turning up the sensitivity, but it doesn't respond to sound (and the sound LED doesn't flash at all). Unfortunately, in this state the unit won't enter the Menu, so I can't try the test mode.

Although I haven't used the DMX controller on anything else, the fact that the moving head also won't respond correctly to its menu buttons and stays displaying i250 does suggest there is an issue even before I've tried using DMX.

Thanks,

Paul

• 9 months later...

Archived