Full Range Active Tops Without Sub

Vin Trouble

Hi, I'm looking to leave my KSub K8 PA behind, as I'm struggling to justify it for a lot of the gigs I'm doing- golf bowling and social clubs 50-100 heads playing 50's to present pop and chart music via backing tracks and 2 vocals plus guitar. Question is, can I buy a pair of active 12" s that would give me a reasonably good sound, or do I really need 15"s? I know I'll probably never get near the quality of the QCS setup, but I'm tired of carting round the sub. Cheers. PS budget is around £1200

Two Yamaha DXR15s would do the job but they're 22.5 kG each so your overall weight is not much better than the current rig. You could go for a pair of QSC K12s (I love mine) at just a little over your budget (maybe sell the K8s and keep the sub to use with them for the bigger gigs). But why not just buy a lightweight sub, Alto Truesonic TSsub 12 weighs 18kg, for the smaller gigs and keep the Ksub for when you need a bit of oomph? That'll only cost you £220 from Thomann and you won't lose the clarity and detail of the QSC tops.

1425077003[/url]' post='518100']

Two Yamaha DXR15s would do the job but they're 22.5 kG each so your overall weight is not much better than the current rig. You could go for a pair of QSC K12s (I love mine) at just a little over your budget (maybe sell the K8s and keep the sub to use with them for the bigger gigs). But why not just buy a lightweight sub, Alto Truesonic TSsub 12 weighs 18kg, for the smaller gigs and keep the Ksub for when you need a bit of oomph? That'll only cost you £220 from Thomann and you won't lose the clarity and detail of the QSC tops.

Thanks Sam - good options- I shall investigate.

Personally, I'd pick 12" rather than 15" - I just think they sound more balanced - 15" drivers often seem a bit lacking in the crossover area. Your budget would probably get you some QSC K12s if you like their sound, and as you already have the other system. Depending on what goes through them, what to the 8" cabs sound like without the sub end - I've heard the 12" but not the 8".

+1 regarding 15" LF drivers, 12s or 10s sound better in the vocal range (and 8s possibly better still, I haven't used them) which is why I suggested keeping the K8s if you like their sound) and adding a lighter, smaller sub. Time to go and listen to a few options I think.

Archived