Flexible cat5/6 cables for Behringer P16

paulears

Ny favourites? Google has let me down. I know Van Damme do some nice flexible, but I want ready made ones 6-10m would be ideal. I'm allergic to spending huge sums on cable. I've been using ordinary Cat5 cable, but they last just a few gigs before getting mailed and knotted - and the rest of the band hate them because they don't coil properly.

Essentially I could even live with short lifespan again, as long as they could like real cables. Twenty quid a cable would be too much. Under twenty quid and I could live with it.

What sort of data speed is required.I have made up loads of cables using flat 8 (Same as telephone and router cords) or flat ribbon for programming Trend BMS kit but they only run at 115KBs.

Essentially as that length I'd expect any 4 pair so work as long as you can fit it in the RJ45 plug.

Have you tried stranded CAT5?

I own some of Thomann's cheaper (The SSSNAKE) cables and they're perfectly ok. Thinner than a mic cable. They don't like being snagged or caught in case lids etc. I also own some that are as revbob describes - just decent quality patch cables. With the right ethercon connector you can get a shell to fit over the moulded plug just fine.

I think if I was choosing again from scratch I'd go for the patch cables route.

I've been using all sorts of the usual variety of patch cables, for 3 years, but not found any that behave like mic cables. The P16's don't require anything above the usual basic Cat5. I guess I might as well buy the Thomann ones, I just hoped that there was something cheap and disposable so when crushed by flight case wheels, I could just throw them. I don't need to fit a shell, as the P16s just have the normal network type RJ45. The ones that came with the P16s were actually quite good, and round section and pretty tough and got stolen during an out (accidentally, of course).

After more Googling, it seems cables for these devices are common questions and nobody seems to make anything sensibly priced. Crazy you can buy a readymade XLR for half the price of network cable and plastic connectors!

1529193242[/url]' post='563531']

I know this is out of your budget by a tenner buddy but I have found this by Thomann

https://www.thomann....e_cable_15m.htm

Yes its a few metres over but I'm not sure if this would help or could be considered for the future.

Are Yongsheng a "brand of Neutrik" or a manufacturer of Ethercon copies?There is a big difference, e.g. Real IS a brand of Neutrik.

My hands-on knowledge of CAT cables is limited to home networks, so I'm quite expecting to be shot down in flames, but is putting your own connectors onto a thin star-quad, such as PSF 4/1, a possibility? Yes, it's screened, but it is twisted, & you are only talking about short lengths.

You might try patch cables made from good Belden cable stock. These look OK, and you could get a short one to check.

Yet another link that doesn't work with Internet Explorer!! - how long before Google finally achieves its plan of World Domination?

I suppose I could buy or borrow a crimp and do it much more cost effectively - but it's a lot of faffing. I've ordered some from Amazon that the computer people have reviewed saying quite tough and flexible and £7 for a 10m one. I suspect thought that their idea of flexible won't be mine!

Are Yongsheng a "brand of Neutrik" or a manufacturer of Ethercon copies?There is a big difference, e.g. Real IS a brand of Neutrik.

"We have manufacturing plants in various countries including China Ningbo (which is also where we manufacture the Yonsheng brand (Yongsheng we do not sell in the USA). One way of recognizing this is that anything where the part number starts with NYS is made in Ningbo). Our REAN brand is also all Ningbo product:"

Reply from Neutrik in this thread

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/LivePerformanceCategory/acapella-33/365620-/page2

Colour me confused.

I made up the multi for my X32 out of Canford's CAT5 - link. It feels and handles a lot like mic cable. Well within budget and if it takes more than a minute to terminate it, you're doing something wrong ;) (It's screened though which does slow things down slightly.)

I'm a big fan of good quality cables, but on my current tour I've needed something more domestic (laptops to consumer grade switch to laptops) where ethercons would have required too many barrels and jumpers, so tried out these from amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018GK6JU0

Two 15m lengths have been loomed up with an HDMI cable and, over the last 18 months, have been dragged across stages over 4 continents, shoved in and out of peli cases, run over by risers and generally abused. I carry a third length as a spare, and it's still in the sealed plastic bag it came in.

It is still a plastic cable rather than a rubber feel, and takes a little wrangling, but at the price point is worth a try

My hands-on knowledge of CAT cables is limited to home networks, so I'm quite expecting to be shot down in flames, but is putting your own connectors onto a thin star-quad, such as PSF 4/1, a possibility? Yes, it's screened, but it is twisted, & you are only talking about short lengths.

You might try patch cables made from good Belden cable stock. These look OK, and you could get a short one to check.

Yet another link that doesn't work with Internet Explorer!! - how long before Google finally achieves its plan of World Domination?

Odd - works fine for me both with Internet Explorer and with Edge. Maybe there is something else going on?

Archived