Tech knowledge lag.

Marineboy63

I've been doing lighting and sound and general tech in theatres for many years now. I recently found myself in a newer venue who were very proud of their Media Server.

What's that for then?

Obviously it's A.V. related but what exactly is one and what does it do?

Blissful ignorance is not a option. (Unfortunately)

I've been doing lighting and sound and general tech in theatres for many years now. I recently found myself in a newer venue who were very proud of their Media Server.

What's that for then?

It's a box that plays out video from disk to projectors or LED panels, usually but not always under control of the lighting console.

Sometimes used for playing actual video but often for playing textures (ripply water etc) as backgrounds

The lighting console can also manipulate the video (change colours, sizes etc) which allows the lighting designer to integrate the video content into the rest of the lighting as a seamless "look".

Google Video Mapping and that is produced using a media server with mapping software!

Arkaos Media master pro is what we use Basically a powerful computer running special video software that can manipulate and layer video content.

I've used Arkaos.

I thought it was something more complex than that. They seemed to have a room dedicated to it.

Our set up /server can output and map images to up to 6 4k projectors, but the whole lot resides in a 20u wheeled rack which includes preview monitors for the two capture card channels UPS and space for an ATEM1 Vision mix if needed certainly don't need a whole room think you are looking at something more than just a server!

My, building has a bloody great server room that was insisted on by the IT dept

It is air conditioned, and is bigger than my garage. Meanwhile, my office is a windowless sweat box that I can ( nearly) touch all the walls of by stretching my armsAll that is in the server room is three 2m racks side by side and you could cycle around them ( on a bike - we tried on a dull day)

One rack is full of cat 5/6 patches, one rack has a small shelf with the CCTV unit that is roughly the size of a VHS vcr and the third has our server which is maybe 4U

Total waste of space and money and we don't have a bloody broom cupboard as storage

The above is a pretty good indication of a lack of understanding of how things work these days and as such quite in keeping with the point the OP was making. The server room might just be full of IT nonsense, but its expected to work flawlessly 24/7 forever without any user interaction. Remove network connectivity and see how far everyone gets without it. We recently lost internet access for a couple of hours and basically you cant actually do anything. Still had internal network, but if had lost that it would have been less than amusing. So with that in mind, a temp controlled enviroment with room for expansions not actually that daft.

I think the main changes these days are related to above, as pretty much everything now relies on a computer of some description, sometimes disguised as a lighting board, sometimes clearly just a computer running software. all these need to talk to other things and thats the area that you realise many people are completely clueless with, some think that by connecting a network cable between two points means it should work as thats whats allways happened with a xlr cable and theres often a huge lack of knowledge of basic networking.

I am all for expansion but all the control spaces are fully interconnected already , and the dedicated room is really massive I did mean to measure the floor space v used space but I would estimate that there is room to add at least 10 times the number of 19" cabinets and still be able to walk freely in the room

We get told off if we use the space for unauthorised storage but we shove the scope in there to get it out of the way when desperate, and there is room for another

As I said, only one of the existing cabinets is full of connection/patches , so we are running at just over 30% capacity of the cabinet space .

By the time the cabinets are full , the kit will be smaller, and we have offices that you can't swing a cat in. The main IT servers etc are elsewhere so it's only local storage that occupies our server ( in a 4U )

Even the bloody automatic doors have a compressor housed in an otherwise bare room that is larger than my bathroom, while the admin team are crammed into a smaller space

Maybe I am just having a bad day

Archived