Budget smoke machine with long/extenable lead

mm01

I help with a disabled charity that produces very small scale shows and have an upcoming panto. We have a carboard cut out of a genies lamp that a bit of smoke would look great puffing out from. The kids love the smoke and we also use it for a few discos etc a year.

We have an old failing smoke machine that we need replacing but Id like to get one that has a longer lead on the remote or a remote that could be extended so it can be operated from the side of the stage, maybe 5 meters at most. I'll be paying for it myself so ideally Im looking as cheap as possible. There is no DMX at the stage so thats not an option sadly.

Ive noticed that some smoke machines come with a DIN type connecter. Could I make an extension cable with the same connectors on and use it when we do anything on the stage?

Any other info greatly appreciated thanks.

You should be able to extend a DIN plug remote.

When buying cheap smoke machines look for "continuous output". This means the machine (once initially heated up) will always make smoke for you when you press the button. A lot of cheap machines will periodically cycle into a standby mode while they reheat and you can bet that will be the moment you want smoke.

Thanks Clive and Tim.

I had seen some of the cheaper units has a little wireless remote but had ruled them out as a bit gimeky. Ive had another look and a few of the more "known" brands do them with a wireless remote so it may be an option worth considering. I actually found one that has a wired (5 pin min DIN connector) and a wireless remote by ADJ (link here) If the wireless unit fails at least I have the wired remote to fall back on and should be able to extend it of needed.

I know this is well below the quality you guys are used to using but does it look ok for my purposes? I cant find any info on the continous output but something has to give with the budget Im working to I guess. If a performer has to wait for the smoke machine to heat up it at least might get a laugh considering the audience!

Thanks again

The range on the wireless remote may well be disappointing on a cheap unit. I don't have any direct experience with the ADJ smoker, but some similar ones have drastically reduced range once an audience is in the venue.

If someone is operating the smoke from nearby in the wings you'll probably be OK, but I'd be wary of relying on it from a FOH position during a show.

The range on the wireless remote may well be disappointing on a cheap unit. I don't have any direct experience with the ADJ smoker, but some similar ones have drastically reduced range once an audience is in the venue.

If someone is operating the smoke from nearby in the wings you'll probably be OK, but I'd be wary of relying on it from a FOH position during a show.

It would be operated from the side of the stage so hopefully the distance isnt too far but agree FOH even in our modest venue would be too far.

The other issue with some cheaper machines is that they often have the pump in parallel with the thermostat so that the machine can only pump smoke when the heater is off. That's no good for controlled cues.

Its something that we have to accept due to the size of the budget, nothing would be spoilt if we couldnt get the smoke on cue. The current unit cuts out during the reheating cycle but Ive got used to the timing of it to a degree so hopefully I can get to a stage to predict the new one too.

Ive decided to go for the ADJ one I linked to above so hopefully it will come in time for the Halloween night and I'll give it a run out.

Thanks again for all of the input, greatly appreciated.

Hard wired remote smokers usually have mains along the remote wire and save costs by not using four connectors. Assume that any pin could be or become real mains live when in use. You may decide you are competent to remove the remote lead and fit a longer one, Fitting connectors always runs the added cost and design issue of working out how to do it safely.

My cheapo chauvet one uses an IEC connector for the remote. At least that should be easy to buy premade extensions for.

Hopefully not one of the early budget smoke machines that used an IEC connector but used earth for a mains referenced control signal.

Oh, undoubtedly. I haven't opened it up to check. I think I paid 20 quid for it and a bottle of fluid, mainly to use at home for halloween and that sort of thing - one could argue one gets what one pays for.

I did have one of those "HmmmTM" moments when I saw the IEC used as a control port, mind.

Edit: It's possible the "earth" is used for the ready indicator, which is an LED, which may be low voltage. As I say, I haven't opened it up. Yet.

I did have one of those "HmmmTM" moments when I saw the IEC used as a control port, mind.

Some of the old JEM Sharky machines had that arrangement too. The real is that the switch, which has a male IEC connector on the end, shorts two cores together. This is a potential problem if the user mixes up their IEC leads at the control position and hooks the switch up to one supplying mains voltage.

From memory, the Sharky remote shorted the connections usually used for earth and neutral, which is probably the least worst option, but I still wasn't entirely happy with it.

I imagine plugging the remote into a mains lead might be a very efficient way to let the smoke out!

Edit: It does also indicate some of the things to watch out for at the budget end of the market. I'm not daft enough to plug the controller into the mains lead; a non technical person might do, though.

Archived