Audio over existing WIFI network (not point to point)

TomHoward

I've got a setup where I'm looking at pushing audio from one place on site (outdoors but under good wifi coverage) to another place (a plant room inside a building with no externally accessible cable route, but also with wifi / network cabinet) and rather than trying to push point-to-point RF or point to point 2.4G boxes I'm wondering whether there's anything off the shelf that would suit?

Ideally either wired CAT5 or with a Wifi point built in that would allow encoding and decoding over the WIFI network in an 'artnet node' style but with mono or stereo audio. Its only speech (a feed of a 100V system being fed into a cafe BGM system) so bitrate is not critical.

I thought it might be a raspberry PI job.

Currently my options are-

Barix In/ex streamer - expensive a bit overkill and needs bridging to WIFI at the send end.

Apple TV / airplay - the venue already has an Apple TV installed as a source - I could get audio into a computer / iPad etc at the send and and stream to Airplay.

I wouldn't want to rely on it too much (ideally it needs to run for a week without needing too much attention)

Option 3 - try boost some RF. It is fairly close nearby (without 100m) but within the plant room coverage could be shaky and it might just be easier to do over IP if there were anything off the shelf.

There's a Denon 2.4GHz system plus many others but they're point to point.

I do have a couple of spare old Mac Minis and that I could set up streaming / decoding on but if there was an off the shelf configurable box it could be easier.

Not a serious issue, I guess I wouldn’t want 1000ms + as that might be a bit silly, but really it’s “show relay” type use (announcement / call system) and there isn’t coverage from the 100V system into the cafe area or vice versa so it’s unlikely you’d be able to hear both sources.

Another option: two old windows PCs or laptops. Fire up Chrome browser on each one. fire up “cleanfeed” from http://cleanfeed.net - although I’m not sure if you can automate this one to start on reboot or power failure. But it’s great for getting audio from one place to another,. The free version should be fine for what you want to do.

You can also apparently use Cleanfeed on a Pi https://blog.cleanfeed.net/cleanfeed-on-a-raspberry-pi/

I've found the Penton Terra-EX and Terra-IEX systems as well, which are essentially the same as the Barix but on Phoenix block, just waiting for tomorrow to find pricing as I haven't got a clue on the price point.

Thanks for the Sonos recommendation - the units are £350 each though so I could do it with the Barix as well.

Looking at a couple of Pi Zero W with FFMpeg at the moment, have someone helping me as I don't know anything about Linux.

Trying to get audio input device for the Pi, as there seem to be a lot of audio DAC headers available for output but not many for input.

I'd quite like a 'plug and play' kind of hardware booting solution, as it's planned to be out with 100V line kit which is in for a week, so I'm not 100% whether the power might get turned on and off.

If it gets too much trouble I might just buy the Barix boxes.

Archived