Cirro Mk3 vs Pea Soup Phantom

elliotwoods

Which machine?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which haze machine should I use?

• Cirro Mk3
    • Pea Soup Phantom
    • No no. It has to be MDG. MDG every time!
    • Why not use a Unique 2.1?
    • Everything is wrong

Hey all!

I've been reading a lot of posts here, so first, thank you for all the great advice!

Currently we're looking for a hazer to use with an artwork.

Here's a couple of images for reference:

http://www.kimchiandchips.com/works/lightbarriersecondedition/lightbarrier3.jpg

http://www.kimchiandchips.com/works/lightbarriersecondedition/lightbarrier5.jpg

(not sure if those are a bit too big for this forum! I'll try and change later if they are)

As you can see, we're looking to draw images in the air by crossing over hundreds of light beams.

You can see more details at creative applications or videos on our website

Previously we used the MDG theONE hazer, which was very nice. Generally we noticed:

1. It tasted quite nice (compared to the JEM hazer, which feels like smoking 4 packs of cigarettes if you spend too much time in the room with it)

2. The particles/fill were regular and fine

3. When the haze gets thicker, it tends to make the light green, and doesn't really increase the quality of the image in any way (just gets murky rather than brighter)

This time we're looking into getting a hazer for a larger space (60x15x28meters WHD).

We're looking for something:

1. Which doesn't cause significant residue (there are mirrors and projectors in the space)

2. Has long hang time (generally short hang time = the liquid falls down onto everything)

3. Creates a fine, even haze (also this means that when the liquid does finally fall, it tends to create an even coating)

4. Is white (actually this is quite rare, most cast a colour)

5. Tastes nice (generally people talk about haze which doesn't cause a dry throat. I think that's what I'm talking about here)

6. Doesn't cause significant residue (generally you can tell how much residue it will create based on how much fluid it consumes per hour)

Right now we're considering:

1. Cirro Mk3

2. Pea Soup Phantom

These both seem to be highly recommended, but also quite rare machines.

I'm wondering if anybody here has experience with both of these machines and can discuss the differences.

The MDG machine is too expensive this time, but also I like that idea that there's something better out there.

We also tried a Unique 2.1 at an exhibtion in Tokyo. It gave a perfect white colour response to the projectors (no greening at all, and very bright), but wasn't very even in the air, and had a very short hang time, so the mirrors ended up being coated in fluid.

Thank you

Elliot

Ah our website link is broken above.

The project can be seen at www.kimchiandchips.com/#lightbarriersecondedition

without any question of doubt, go with the phantom. It performs better than anything else on the market, the MDG included. The Cirro being a cracker, will still perform well, but is much wetter and has a much bigger particle size compared with the phantom. And, yes, I have directly compared all the machines mentioned.

• 2 years later...

In the end, we went with the Pea Soup Phantom.

I was really happy with the value over the MDG (it's less than half the price).

It's a much more 'mechanical' thing than the MDG e.g.:

- they give you a little drill bit to manually clean the nozzle (which is necessary after about a month of use)

- the PID temperature controller is an off-the-shelf industrial unit which is visible on the back of the machine (the buttons are locked)

- there is no digital interface for % output, for that you need to adjust the mechanical gas regulator or liquid regulator

It has a general feeling of being well constructed and pragmatically designed.

I would feel more nervous about giving somebody else one of these to operate compared to an MDG which is a bit more simplified

The Phantom feels satisfying and uncomplicated once you spend a little time with it

I'm still not so sure what's the best way to balance the gas and liquid regulator.

My general instinct was that using about 3* bars of pressure for standard use, and then adjust the fluid for density to match what you expect

And from then on, adjust the gas regulator when you need to increase/decrease the density

* I think it was 3 bar, it might have been something else starting with a 3 :). It's been 2 years since I last touched it.

In terms of fluid usage, I would suggest about used about 10-30 liters per month for the size of venue we used (see image)

And the result:

wszNlt.jpg

Video link:

https://vimeo.com/218354021

Archived