Martin Mac 250 Krypton noise

adamantiumxt

At my school we have 4 Martin Mac 250 Kryptons, starting to show some age. Any movements are very loud so we try to keep them in a set position during theatrical shows, but the fan noise is getting really bad. Even with over 500 people packed in the hall, I try to keep them switched off unless we have something like a music concert where they will be drowned out, as the fan hum is an overbearing sound (especially once you've noticed it once).

Is this noise normal, or is it caused by something like dust build up (the lamps need replacing if that has any impact)?

Also, is it possible to somehow reduce the noise of them moving, without causing long term issues from incorrect lubrication?

Fan noise is obviously the fan bearings worn and they'll need replacing before they let the fixture overheat, head, fx and base fans while you're at it. Movement noise could be several things from poor programming/slow DMX refresh rate in tracking mode causing jitter, tight or worn belts, gritty motors, or loose & rubbing plastics which on the 250 can 'resonate' in sympathy with the motors to create a sort of singing, humming tone.

There are preset motor speeds in the parameters that might mitigate a noisy movement if they're set to 'fast' rather than 'normal'.

Thanks so far, I think we'll have to take them down to have a look. Do you know what kind of fan connector is used as I've found the same fan being offered as a spare part with and without it, and I'd rather not have to splice on the old one. It's also much cheaper to buy the fan from an electronics supplier but then it comes with bare leads.

Also, I just remembered that one of the lights often has an issue where the shutter seems to jam, and will only open after being reset from the power a few times. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

A competent service seems to be in order, lamps with fans tend to pull dust through and use that dust to absorb the lubricant on moving parts.

Fans in moving lights are usually optimised for air flow over quietness, be very careful that any "computer fan" moves the right amount of air otherwise the lantern will fail due to overheating. I'd consider it possible that any fixture that needs a power off reset is so full of dust that it needs to power off to cool down prior to restarting.

Be very sure that you use an appropriate lubricant inside the lanterns, and use only an appropriate quantity. Read the service manual.

Archived