Perspex Litedec

AndyJones

Hey guys

I have a project coming up where I need some see through Litedeck. I have plenty of deck, so I was just going to replace the top. I'm making an 8x8 drum riser. What perspex thickness would I need, and where would be a good source for this?

Rather than guess at the type and grade and thickness of perspex why not hire the proper stuff from the proper people? Like THIS. It is a structurally safety critical item and thick perspex sheet was pretty costly anyway the last time I looked.

Of course, being a perverse old moaner I can see a snag here. You can't just slap a drum kit onto a shiny surface and have some social misfit kick seven bells out of it, it would fly straight off the front so you need a carpet. Where you can get a clear transparent carpet has me beat.

I remember seeing a small drum carpet that just covered the kick drum and the stool. I *think* it was a manufactured product, but it wouldn't be hard to take a Stanley knife to a scrap piece of carpet.

I think Roland make one for their electric drum kits.

Either that or a few carefully placed stage weights by the kick drum legs work well!

Done this before, here's what we did:

Cover perspex with rubber mat or old bit of carpet.

Setup kit & have the drummer adjust as required.

Place small blocks made from offcuts of the same perspex in front/around each leg of the drum kit and label them. Don't forget the stool may move backwards!

Drill holes through blocks, mat & riser.

Remove mat.

Bolt the blocks down.

Not quite so easy to transport any more, but looks great when you duct a big smoke machine up from under the bass drum and add load of old school strobes!

My memory says our perspex was about 20mm, but I could be wrong - it was almost 30 years ago.

Archived