DI Box recommendations

IanSm

What would people say are "industry standard" DI boxes in the UK ?

I'm talking about the pro-level - touring or festivals, large venues, that sort of thing. Forget esoteric valve DIs or el-cheapo stuff.

My feeling is (and I've been out of it for a while) is BSS (AR133) and / or Klark Teknik (DN100) for actives.

Not sure about passives - EMO were very popular back in the 1980s / 90s but perhaps less so now.

The american manufacturers - Countryman, Radial, Whirlwind - used to be very rare over here - and I don't think this has changed.

Industry standard; BSS AR133, Radial (various), KT DN100

As Mark points out, they're not the only quality choices. I'm also a happy Orchid DI customer.

But, if rider-friendliness is your objective, then the first list. And, in my experience, Radial are more common even in the UK than KT.

In terms of what I see pass across two large venues' stages - usually BSS if sound company is supplying, often Radial if artist's production bring their own. A surprising number of Behringer DI100s, even on gigs with MLA hangs and Digico desks - though not usually on "money" channels.

I would confirm all of the above, and to affirm that Orchid have respect amongst other engineers I talk to and I'm very happy with them - think I found them originally through a blue room tip.

A surprising number of Behringer DI100s, even on gigs with MLA hangs and Digico desks - though not usually on "money" channels.

But hopefully never any DI-20s, unless as a white noise generator?

A surprising number of Behringer DI100s, even on gigs with MLA hangs and Digico desks - though not usually on "money" channels.

But hopefully never any DI-20s, unless as a white noise generator?

Not on anything that comes through with a proper budget, and certainly not on house engineered shows.

AR133s for live stage use, Radial Pro AV1 & USB Pro for AV type jobs, connecting client/talent's playback.

Many moons ago, for about a month we had one of those 8-channel 1U Behringer units, it looked useful at the time, however we quickly got rid as the sound out of it was awful.

Used to have a few EMO ones back in the day for my keyboards. Got a Radial Duplex JDI recently and it's great. Very versatile. It sums to mono better than (it seems, for whatever reason) the Mono/L outs on the boards, and many cheaper mixers. But, where backline is provided (here in the Middle East), always seems to be the BSS 133.

Archived